Trip to Argentina last 2 weeks in May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my husband and I are planning a trip to Argentina this spring (our spring, their fall) and wanted to go in late April-early May, but can only get frequent flier tickets for the last 2 weeks in May. I am concerned about the weather. We are going to Buenos Aires, which sounds fine in May, but also wanted to visit Mendoza and the Lake District/Bariloche. Will Mendoza and Bariloche be a bit too cold in late May to enjoy them to their fullest? Thanks so much.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 02:46 PM

May is a perfect time for Salta and the NW, or... the NW is perfect that time of the year. Have it in mind. the weather is great, teh food, the landscape... Everything.
Flitnstones
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 01:00 AM

I have been to both the lakes area and Mendoza during the latter part of May and early June. The weather is more predictable and temperate in Mendoza.

From Mendoza we were able to go up into the Andes all the way to the border with Chile. There was snow at the higher elevations but the weather was cool and sunny in Mendoza, perfect for exploring various wineries.....
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 03:16 AM

As a great "friend" of mine would start by saying, I agree with the above posters.

I would suggest going to Mendoza and to our North-West, avoiding our South, at that time of the year.

Have a great time in our country.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 03:17 AM

Of course, I forgot to say the Iguazú Falls culd be an even better destination.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 03:19 AM

And it's "could", not "culd". LOL!!!
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 05:21 AM

Oh, yeah! Iguazu is a world-class destination. If you only visit one spot in Argentina, it should be Iguazu. Mendoza pales by comparison. The Lakes Region is very nice but not so distinctive as the falls. I am scheduled to go to the North West for the first time in June, so I will let you know my first hand impressions when I return....but my pre-departure impression is that the region is not too different from the American Southwest...But we have nothing in the United States that compares to Iguazu. Not even close.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 05:39 AM

I am REALLY thrilled!

drdwggy, the world-famous TOP Internet authoriy on Argentina agrees with me!! LOL!!!

Just kidding. Megan, you'll have a great time in our country, no matter which places you choose to go to.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

That all makes sense.

We moved our trip up a few weeks, but still think it probably makes sense to avoid the south.

What about this itinerary:
2 days in BA
2 days in Iguazu
3-4 days in Mendoza
drive from Mendoza to Chile
then 3 days in BA

Thanks so much.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:11 AM

"2 days in BA" FINE
"2 days in Iguazu" GREAT!
"3-4 days in Mendoza" FINE
"drive from Mendoza to Chile" NOT SO SIMPLE. I suggest further research. I would say fly or take a bus.
"then 3 days in BA" FINE

Have a great time in our country.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:08 AM

Hi Megan-

We were in Argentina last year and left the last week in way and were gone for two weeks. Unfortunately, we had really, really cold weather in BA. Had to buy gloves and hats once we got there. However, we still fell in love with the city. We did 5 nights on the front-end at the Art hotel, 2 nights in Iguazu, stayed at the Sheraton which was completely worth the extra money. Iguazu was amazing! Doesn't even compare to Niagra Falls, sorry Canadians. Definitely take the boat ride that drives you directly underneath the falls, you will get drenched! After Iguazu we headed to Salta with Angie and had an amazing time for 5 nights. It was somewhat similar to our Southwest but we thought even more beautiful. Salta was truly the highlight of our trip. We were able to hit some wineries and ate amazing food. After Salta we went back to BA for 2 nights before we left for the States.

I hope this helps! Have an amazing time...I wish I was going back!
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:09 AM

Oops...sorry meant to say the last week in May!
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM

pgshorty - How did you like the Art Hotel. I am considering it for this June.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:47 AM

I spent 2 weeks on Argentina in August 2006. While summer was raging back home, we were visiting in the dead of winter--which is a very relative description.

We, too, stayed in BA and the north. Like others, we hit up Iguazu falls(during a severe drought, so very disappointing) and elsewhere in the province of Misiones, a drive-through of the northwest with Angie (which I strongly recommend) and the balance of time in the big city.

It was frigid and damp in BA, and we did need to bundle up. However, I remember watching a weather report one morning while I was there and in Ushuaia, the southernmost part of the country, at the height of the austral winter, it was only -4 degrees Celsius (that's a great day in a Montreal winter). All that to say that if you plan ahead and dress appropriately, I don't think you could go wrong visiting Mendoza and the lake district in the austral autumn.

Argentina is such a beautiful and exciting country to visit that I don't think you could go wrong visiting at any time of the year.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM

Thank You pgshorty and Mona Manuel for your reference to your stay in the NW, I am really comfident you will keep the remembrances for a long time. Warm regards from this corner of Argentina.
Flintstones
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:03 AM

Teach2travel-

The Art Hotel was a very nice hotel with a very friendly staff. They included breakfast in the very reasonable price. Great location also!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:08 AM

The pass between Mendoza and Santiago de Chile has also been known to close as early as mid-May.

If your trip/flights/etc depend on you being in Santiago, it's better to fly. I once had to wait in Mendoza for five days for the pass to open before continuing onto Santiago.

Bring a coat to wear at the Arg/Chile border -- if you have to stand around a while, you'll freeze. It's very cold.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

As suggested, I did some research on the drive from Mendoza to Chile and we realized it was just not going to work.

So we are spending more time in Buenos Aires. We will spend our first 3 nights in BA (still deciding on hotel - any thoughts on Faena, which is maybe too out of the way, vs. the Park Hyatt vs. the 4S?).

Then we fly to Mendoza - 3 nights out in the wine country, and one night at the Park Hyatt before an early flight, which connects to Iguazu.

2 nights at the Sheraton in Iguazu. Any tips on whether we should get a visa so we can do both sides of the falls?

Then we return to BA for 4 nights at the Costa Petit Hotel in Palermo Soho.

I hope to return to Argentina in a couple years and go to El Calafate and the Lake District, both of which look amazing.

Thanks everyone! And any advice re the above would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention - we will be there from April 22-May 5, so hopefully the weather will be a bit warmer than had we left a month later as we originally planned.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 09:33 AM

The NW is certainly beautiful, the ones who came to see our mountains, tasted our wines and food, are still thinking about coming back!
Do not miss it. Purmamarca - Tilcara and the SAlt Flats, Cafayate and Salta town are the most beautiful places in the NW.
And I do not even mention other attractions like the ice-cream, goat cheese and torrontes wines...
Flintstones.