Search

Traveling around Belize

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling around Belize

My tentative plan is Belize for a week in Feb. I am interested in being near the ocean--snorkeling, possibly scuba diving--and seeing the sights such as the rain forest Mayan ruins, caves, wifdlife, etc. Will I be able to stay in one place or will I have to travel around to different cities/hotels. Since I will only be there for 1 week I don't want to have to pack up and move every night. Any recommendations for which city/ies to stay in?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:00 PM

You can base on the Placencia peninsula and visit the Maya sites and caves in the Maya villages in Toledo, guided hiking in the Jaguar Preserve, howler monkeys in Monkey River.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Katie has a good suggestion. Another idea would be to do a few days on either Caye Caulker or Ambergris for beach activities, and then a few days in San Ignacio for caves, ruins, etc. Combinig these two locations is a popular option for many travelers to Belize.

You will love Belize... happy travels!
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both. Msteacher: based on my reaseach Ambergris and San Ignacio seem like the right choices. I usually book logding on sites like expedia or hotels.com, but these do not have listings for these locals. What would be the best way to go about finding lodging? Also, in terms of flying into Belize and getting from one location to another would we need a car or can we take a taxi/bus? I'd rather hook up with a tour company for day trips than do it on my own. Is this possible?
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Pausanias

The best way to start would be to buy or borrow a guidebook. Fodor's has a good one. Failing that, clicking on the "Destinations" or "Hotels" links above will help. If you give us an idea of your price range and tastes, we may be able to help narrow the field.

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

For lodgings I don't want to spend more than 150 per night. i usually stay in 4 star hotels but I don't mind 3 star accomodations. for the beach portion, i'd like to stay in a nicer place.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Pausanias

At $150 you'll find quite a bit. We satyed at Caribbean Villas last year, when we couldn't get our first two choices. It's within your range and adequate -- definitely showing its age though.

If you want to stay downtown take a look at the Sunbreeze. Nice pool and restaurant, the Blue Water Grill. Beach isn't much, but then the beaches aren't much on Ambergris.

If these don't suit and you want to spend more, take a look at Victoria House and Banyan Bay, both very nice properties south of town (a little further out than Caribbean Villas).

I'm sure someone else can give you advice on more properties.

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Those above give good advice. You should also check out belizeforums.com for more info on hotels and such.

I realized I made a mistake in my earlier post. I should have said to go to SI before the beach. You will really enjoy relaxing on the beach after wearing yourself out with inland adventures.

There are several options for traveling around. To get from the airport to SI, there a couple of shuttle services (book in advance) for around $30-40 per person. The bus is also an option. Taxis are easily available for short trips, but would be pricey for the trip to SI. You can either fly or water taxi from Belize City to Ambergris.

As for day trips, you can easily find tours for everything you want to do. Many hotels offer excursions, and there are other operators in town. You can generally book day trips when you get there. In SI, I was very happy with Mayawalk Tours. Have fun!