Travel advice Argentina/Chile

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Lauren

Travel advice Argentina/Chile

I'm going to Argentina for a trip to Antarctica this December. I was looking for recommendations on where to go and how long to stay in Argentina/Chile after the tour to see the area. I'm debating between 2-4 weeks. I fly into BA and leave for my tour from Ushaia.

Also, how safe is it for women travelling alone through Argentina?

Thanks! - Lauren

Thanks, Lauren

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:26 AM
lilly

it is perfectly safe for women travelling alone through Argentina. I've done it several times.

On where to go and how long to stay in Argentina/Chile: What are your interests? landscape, shopping, food, partying?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:39 PM
Lauren

Lilly,

Thanks for the response. I'm interested in hiking, kayaking, beaches, etc. - just about anything outdoors. I would also want to experience some of the culture. Any advice?

Unfortunately, I don't speak Spanish- but I'm trying to teach myself! Do you see this as a problem?

Thanks! - Lauren

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:19 AM
maria

Hi Lauren,

I did a google search and found the following website:

http://www.amazingargentina.com/html...ures/index.php

It will give you good information.

Another website if you will be in Ushuaia: http://www.tierradelfuego.org.ar/DeCruz/ENHiking.htm

Other than the south, where you're already going, Iguazú Falls are a must. The scenery is gorgeous, and you will have good options for adventure there.

One week in Buenos Aires should give you enough time to experience some of the culture. Almost everybody here speaks at least a little English, so language should not be an issue.

Feel free to contact me for further information.

Best,

Maria

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Lilli

That sounds like a great trip! Do not leave Ushuaia immediately, it is really special and the Tierra del Fuego/Lapataia National Park is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. You could spend a few days there.

On the Chilean side, if you have enough time and find a way to get there, you should go to the most beautiful national park: Torres del Paine.

Speaking no Spanish might make travelling a little more difficult, but you will also find some people speaking English - especially the ones working in tourism. But no worries about travelling alone.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Mary

Hi Lauren ! I would recommend you to stay 4 weeks, Argentinas has terrific places you cannot miss (Bariloche, the glaciers, the water falls, the Valley of the Moon, its costs... well, Buenos Aires of course ! It is safe for a women to travel alone, you just have to be careful late at night in the "bad" naiborhoods, as in any other city. Check www.argentinago.com, is a very cool site with a lot of info ! Enjoy your trip !

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 04:39 PM
racer

hey maria, lilli, and mary:
i want to drive from santiago to ushuaia. any trouble with that? where's the best place to cross from chili to argentina? we are very adventerous types. any problems for us to drive at night? what would the best route be from say barrilloche to ushuaia? do you know a good place to buy road maps of both countries? how many hours driving time santiago to barrilloche? barrilloche to ushuaia? thanks in advance for the info.
racer

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Rocco

Lauren,
Congratulations on the Antarctica trip. Hope to make the same trip myself in three years in what will hopefully be for the Antarctica Marathon (late February, early March).
Just wondering, what cruise line are you going on??? Orient Lines, Radisson, Lindbald???
As far as your question goes, you should really check out Explora (Salto Chico Hotel) in Torres Del Paine (http://www.explora.com) It seems like it would perfectly compliment your trip to Antarctica. I am going there myself in December, although probably a couple weeks ahead of the time of your trip. Have a great trip and be sure to post a trip report! Thanks.