Transportation from Mexico City To Oaxaca

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of heading to Oaxaca in mid May to celebrate my birthday. I know there is a bus from Mexico City but that the ride is pretty scary through the mountains. Has anyone had any experiences taking the bus? I am not fond of switchback terrains!
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this a few years ago. But, I stopped in Puebla for a day or two . . . it broke the trip up nicely. I don't remember the ride being scary.

I loved Oaxaca and will probably return in a year or two. I hope you have a great time . . . and happy birthday.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the same as Sandy, stopped over in Puebla for a few days and then took an ADO bus to Oaxaca. Winding mountain roads make me both nervous and nauseous—the ride to Oaxaca wasn’t that bad. I took half a Dramamine and enjoyed the views.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 11:21 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a dilemma for me too as I'd like to branch out a bit and see more than just Oaxaca. However, it appears to be a 5 hour bus ride from Puebla to Oaxaca and while not crazy about long bus rides in general for the same reasons mentioned, it's the obvious other deterrent that would stop me. Two hours from Mexico City is fine, just no tea with breakfast, but I wish it was only 2 to Oaxaca, too. Much as I prefer surface travel, I guess I'll just continue to fly, have changed planes in MC twice before and it's an easy 1 hour flight.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 03:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I've taken both the bus and driven a number of times. I would describe the highway as more curvy than switchbacky. The curviest section only lasts about 20 minutes or so. The scenery is impressive.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 04:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have fond memories of the six hour ride between MC and Oaxaca. Leaving the city, you first pass through a pine forest, then descend to the plateau. To your right are the volcanoes Popacatepetl and Iztaccihuatl. If the air is clear you'll have a wonderful view -- but perhaps not as amazing as when Pico de Orizaba appears on your left. This is the second highest peak in North America and completely stunning. Later you pass through stark desert. The Mexicans on the bus will be watching TV -- but you'll be looking out the windows.

I rode Uno, which is no longer in service, but take a deluxe bus and you will be very comfortable. Mexican buses are far more comfortable and clean than those in the U.S. You might even venture into the bathroom.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine who has lived in Mexico over twenty years says you haven't been to Mexico if you haven't traveled by bus, but I think he means the "chicken bus" level, not first class or deluxe.