Hotel near a beach with wildlife

Mar 7th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Hotel near a beach with wildlife

We are planning to go to Costa Rica for our second time in June. There will be 4 adults (in their 40th and 60s) and 2 boys ages 11 and 12. We are planning to go to the Tenorio area and stay possibly at Rio Celeste Hideaway and then to Rio Perdido Lodge. We would like to spend last 3 days near a beach. Can you please recommend a hotel that is not too far from Liberia airport and Rio Perdido (lets say under 2.5 hours away). We would like it to be lush with some wildlife on property and hopefully some trails not too far away or some other nature activities nearby. I would really appreciate any suggestions!
Mar 7th, 2018, 09:16 AM
RAC

Most areas with a decent amount of intact forest will have the more common wildlife on the grounds--howler monkeys, raccoons, etc. Things should be fairly green and lush due to it being the rainy season.

For trails, best bets would be Santa Rosa or Rincon de la Vieja, for additional wildlife also consider a boat tour of the Palo Verde area.
Mar 7th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, RAC. Do you have any specific hotel recommendations? Or any towns / beaches to look at?
Mar 7th, 2018, 09:36 AM
RAC

We stayed at Playa Hermosa and found it to be a very good base for exploring the area--spent 4 nights there and did day trips to Palo Verde, Santa Rosa plus took a sunset sailboat tour of the bay. It's about 30 minutes from the airport, very manageable in size, but offers a pretty good range of lodging and dining options. We stayed at La Gaviota Tropical, and thought it was great (good service plus a solid restaurant operates out of the ground floor). We're staying at Secrets Papagayo in May but that may be too late for us to provide you useful feedback.
Mar 7th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

RAC, we are going in June of 2019 so it won't be too late
Thank you!
Mar 7th, 2018, 06:51 PM

I don't know what your budget is, but the Westin at Playa Conchal could work. I've never stayed there, but have stayed next door in Brasilito a few times. Playa Conchal is gorgeous.

There's also Flamingo Beach Resort at Playa Flamingo. Very lovely beach. Not sure if the grounds are lush, but that beach is very nice.
Mar 7th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, plumboy. My budget is unlimited since we are talking about Costa Rica in low season and not French Polynesia in high season I am a bit concerned that Westin would be too commercial and developed but Playa Conchal definitely looks very nice.