Transportation

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transportation

We (me, my wife and 4 children) are going to be in Costa Rica from 4/13-4/28, staying 3 nights in Escazu, 2 nts at the Selva Verde Lodge next to the Braulio Carillo National Park, 2 nts at Arenal Paraiso Hotel then to a villa (Villa Encantada) on the NW part of the lake for 3 nts, then back to the Orquideas Inn near San Jose.

Would we need to rent a car and, if so, any recommendations? Or can we get around using other means, and what would they be?

Also, any good places to eat on our route or places to see?

Any other thoughts on our itinerary?
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 08:46 AM

For a family I would recommend renting a car. You can find several posts in this section about various companies. You can do a web search for "Costa Rica car rentals" and get several hits to compare prices. A 4WD is not necessary to go most places. The roads can be rough and narrow but if you take it easy, you will have no problem. You can take the bus everywhere but it will take longer and involve waiting which can be hard for kids! Good luck and have fun!
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's helpful info. My wife has read that 4wd will be essential around Arenal - do you feel like we'd be OK without it there?
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 11:28 AM

I answered your post on Frommers. I'll just add that we chose to rent a 4WD during our last visit and will do so again this July. However, it probably wouldn't be necessary in April, especially since you're not traveling to Monteverde. When I stayed at Lake Arenal last July, I saw plenty of standard 2WD cars driving around the lake.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:00 PM

I agree with TAG, the 4wd is not totally necessary although some prefer the higher ground clearance. I have found if you just take it easy, you can go most everywhere without problems in a sedan. Yes, the road around Arenal is unpaved gravel and washboard in places but I have heard that it is being worked on. I have just read another post here tonight pro/con about driving conditions in CR so look for that as well. The car just gives a lot of flexibility to your trip that I think you will need during your short stay.