Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Tortuguero/Monteverde/Arenal/Chilamate - which order?

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm returning for trip #3 this July with my parents and 20-year old son. We've pretty much decided on where we're going to spend our first 10 days, but are undecided about the order.

Under Plan A, we fly to Tortuguero for 2 nights, boat to Moin where we pick up our rental car and drive to La Quinta de Sarapiqui (2 nights), then Arenal (2 nights), then Monteverde (2 nights), then back to the Central Valley.

Under Plan B, we shuttle & boat to Tortuguero for 2 days, then fly back to the Central Valley where we pick up our rental car and drive to Monteverde, then Arenal, then La Quinta de Sarapiqui, then back to the Central Valley. Any thoughts?
Terri
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 07:27 AM

I would go with plan A. It seems like there would be a lot of extra travel time on plan B.
By flying to Tortuguero, you will get there early enough to have a full day of touring the area as well as another full day. By taking the boat to T you would have a lot less time actually at the lodge.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Your rental car should be a 4WD.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Suzie for your response. That was my feeling as well - plus flying back to SJO, picking up a rental car, and driving to Monteverde just seemed like a bit too much for one day. Now I just need to coordinate a drop off by Costa Rica Expeditions with our rental car pick up in Limon.

RufusTFirefly: We will be renting a Toyota 4Runner (same car we had last year). My folks are avid off-roaders (the environmentally-sensitive type - only established BLM and Forest Service roads). The road from Monteverde to Tilaran sounds just like their cup of tea!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 05:19 PM

TAG--4Runner, excellent. If the roads around Monteverde are as bad in July as they were in April, you will literally have to drive at a crawl. Hopefully, they will have regraded and gravelled them by then.

Drivers we had were complaining about having to get new shocks every 2-4 months, broken axels, etc. Some places only one side of the road was passable.