Search

Arenal Drive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:47 PM
koa
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arenal Drive

Hola! Will be going to CR in early august. Arriving at SJO around 12 noon. After getting a rental car, will be driving up to Arenal via San Ramon. I know its about a 3 hour drive, but heard driving in the afternoon is sketchy due to possible fog and rain, any input would be appreciated!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:17 PM

I wouldn't worry too much, you should make it ok. The sun will set around 6PM, you want to be there by then. Fog is a possibility but it happens up there, just take it easy. CR roads are narrow and potted compared to here; plan to make some pit stops for a soda and a stretch. Good luck and have fun!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 09:52 PM
koa
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am more worried about being delayed. Especially since I will be heading for CR from houston and I hear weather can be spotty in Houston especially during that time of the year.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 09:40 AM

Having just made the same drive at around your same times I can offer you a few tips. Make sure that you have a good map. I got lost a few times heading out of San Ramon. There is good signage and then NADA! After finding the right road there are more signs and the scenary is beatiful. Right outside of La Tigra (maybe 10k or so) there is a bridge that is very high and I wish now that we had stopped for a photo. Getting to Arenal is easy, it is leaving around the lake that it really becomes interesting.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 10:36 AM

Sr. Flojo is absoutely right about the road around Lake Arenal, it was bumpy gravel when we went and remains the same today! I wonder why certain roads in CR just never get improved? The other spot I am thinking of is the stretch between Quepos and Dominical - devilish! It always has been and seems like it always will be......
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 03:44 PM

We didn't drive in CR (I don't even like to drive in the USA), we hired drivers. Our driver took 2 hours almost to the minute to drive from Arenal Paraiso Resort to SJO. There were some turns that I would have had no idea were the route to San Jose--signage is not the best out in the boondocks. I'm also glad I didn't have to drive because I was able to relax and enjoy the scenery instead of watching for potholes, accidents, iffy bridges, and very slow, overloaded trucks.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:02 PM
koa
Original Poster

Thanks SrFlojo, My first trip to CR involved a lot of missed turns. The signage is horrible. Maybe the tourism authority should try to fix this problem for us tourists.The Tabacon hotel website has good directions for finding them available on their website.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 08:46 AM

We went w/o renting a car, but there's something to be said for renting one. If you look at another post about Sansa safety, a woman mentions that Costa Rica has the second highest auto fatalities in the world.

Virtually, every driver we had didn't know how to drive. They crossed over the center line by curves on hills. One was looking for something on the floor while he was driving. Tailgating is a national past-time. Many of our drivers passed in unsafe conditions. We had several close calls.

I have a friend from Costa Rica whose father was killed in an auto accident and his uncle was killed in another auto accident.

If you are driving, you can at least drive defensively---tap your horn slightly when you go up hills and curves.

The whole driving thing is my biggest qualm about returning. It is a sizeable risk as well as an impediment to relaxation. Costa Ricans and tourists alike should pressure the government to start a driver safety education campaign---safer and more pleasant for both residents and visitors---and helpful to the tourism economy.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:06 PM
koa
Original Poster

Your right about the driving. It really freaked me out. I drive a lot for work, so i am used to driving, but driving in CR is like a scene out of mad maxx.But there is inherent risks in everything we do, just got to be defensive, obey the speed limit and really watch around those blind turns.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:21 PM

We got a driver, Oscar he has a 2 year old nice van with seat belts and air. Spoke English and very friendly and best of all drove very safe! Heard a lot about Oscar from this site and just happened to get lucky and got him. $100 for 1 way from the airport area to Arenal. Would not rent a car.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Iza

You should have no problem getting to Arenal before dark. We drove that road in August of last year and it is in a good shape. Both San Ramon and La Tigra may be a bit tricky because there are no signs. In La Tigra there is a turnoff and no signs, so stop and ask for directions (even if you don't speak Spanish, someone will point the right road to you). Be on the lookout for hotel signs (Tabacon has a few posted along the way, as does Montana de Fuego).
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM

I agree with the responses on way the people drive. Pass on a dbl line, on a curve, tail gate, speed demons. Guard rails? Few and far between. Heard it was foggy coming back from Arenal. Drive defensively!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 08:23 PM

We were in Costa Rica for 2 weeks recently and spent $320 for all transfers and taxi's needed. We were with another couple it would have been double that if we were by ourselves. We got lucky and got Oscar for all our transfers, he has a 2 year old van with seat belts. He drives very safe and spoke good English. Transfers included SJ to Arenal, boat/van to Monteverde, Monteverde to Samara and all taxis needed and hotel transfers. For that price I wouldn't think of renting unless you want to rent for the day to do some exploring on your own after you see what the roads are like. Don't get me wrong it's not that I would be afraid to drive around but for the cost, piece of mine and being able to pay attention to the scenery instead of the roads make it worth it to me.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:15 AM

If that's Oscar without the thumb, I thought he was a nice person. But he wasn't any safer than any other driver there.

He made some unsafe passes near hills & curves, and he tailgated a lot.

I don't believe in hiding out at home and never doing anything out of fear of death. I'm a skier and an amateur triathlete. On our trip, we did the canopy tour, and I took a surfing lesson. I don't even let my airplane phobia keep me from flying---b/c I know it's an irrational fear.

But there is such a thing as a foolish risk. Many of the drivers there do take foolish risks. I'm glad I went, and I wouldn't tell someone not to go to this amazing place. However, I would advise finding ways to protect yourself---either by finding a safer driver or practicing defensive driving. And it's my biggest hesitation about going back to Costa Rica. I'd like to start a driver education campaign.