Transfer to Arenal - question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Manual Antonio and need to get to Tabacon... the quickest, easiest way possible. We will spend one night at Tabacon before heading to the Peace Lodge for our last 2 nights.....

Which is the better option (not sure if these are even possible):

1.) Take the interbus from MA to Arenal (IS there one?), then rent a car at Arenal (can we rent a car AT Arenal?... to be dropped off at SJO?)

2.) Take the interbus from MA to SJO, rent a car at SJO, drive to Tabacon for the night, then to Peace Lodge.

3.) FLY from Quepos to SJO, rent a car at SJO, drive to Tabacon for the night, then to Peace Lodge.

Thank you in advance for your help! (How did we plan trips before this site was around??? lt
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:01 AM

Interbus will run you about 4.5 hrs to Arenal from MA. About 4 hrs. to SJO. Don't know if you can pick up a car in Arenal & drop it off in SJO. You can fly out of Quepos to SJO in about 25 minutes, rent your car & be in Arenal in about 3 hrs, maybe less. The latter would be your best option IMO, time-wise; although if you can rent a car in Arenal, that would work too. Interbus site is http://www.costaricapass.com
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:08 AM

Have you considered getting a car in MA and driving yourself to Arenal? Then you won't waste time in Arenal getting a car and you can leave MA as early/late as you want. We rented from Mapache, they dropped the car off at our MA hotel, and then we returned it in Punta Islita (they came to pick it up). So I'm sure you could then leave the car in San Jose.

We booked them through www.centralamerica.com

Drive to Tabacon from MA should be around 5 or 6 hours depending on your stops and traffic. We enjoyed the ride, it was very pretty.

stacey
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!, ... I looked at the Interbus skds but could not find one from MA area to Tabacon area.

I am thinking that the fly to SJO then drive option might end up taking almost 5 hours as well.... if I count transfer to Quepos airport, time at the airport, flight, picking up car, AND 2 hour drive from SJO-Tabacon???

Maybe Stacey (april0404) has a good point about the drive option, since we could leave as early as we wanted...??

I will see if they can drop off the vehicle the night before.

Thanks!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 03:57 PM

I agree. Driving yourself sounds like the best plan.