Best calling card in Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best calling card to use in CR to make phone calls back to the US? Where should I purchase one?
Thanks!
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:45 AM

The easiest most economical way to make international calls is to purchase an ICE (Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad) calling card. A ?3000 card will give you 12-15 minutes of direct dial international long distance (about $US 0.50 per minute) from a public pay phone or any private phone. Some international phone cards purchased in the United States, Canada, or Europe work sometimes (ATT seems to be the most reliable).
Purchase at tiendas or the post office.
Unlike the U.S., it is also often economical to make phone calls from your hotel. Except at major international resorts, there are rarely exorbitant surcharges. Check before you call.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:58 AM

gabeck,
It is a little cheaper to use AT&T cards (and you can add minutes if needed). The problem we have run into both in March and again this past month is using them at the many pay phones. This worked like a charm for me last summer, but, for some reason no one can explain, I have not been able to get them to work this year. They work just great on hotel phones, however. We have been fortunate a couple of times when there was no room phone in that the hotel allowed us to use their desk phone. AT&T access from Costa Rica is 0-800-011-4114. That number MUST be dialed first and it will get you an AT&T operator. We, too, have used the 199 (ICE) cards. They are a good option. My understanding is that you have to purchase at least the 3000 colones card in order to call the U.S.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 05:37 PM

I've found Sam's Club to have the best rates.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 04:01 PM

I found e-mail to be the cheapest and easiest form of communication with home. There are Internet cafes in every town and they are really cheap. Usually $2/hour or less.