Anyone use AT&T Card Lately?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading a lot of posts that said that people had trouble making calls from pay phones last year with their AT&T cards. I know I can purchase cards there, but I'd like to make a quick call home from the airport to the US when we first get there, so i was going to buy a card here. Have the AT&T cards been working again? I don't want to waste a lot of time looking for a card at the airport. I'd rather have it in hand and go staright to the phone.

Thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:14 PM

Where are you going to be calling from?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:37 AM

mosey, I, for one, ran into this problem and would like to know if it has been resolved (doubt it!). Summer of 2004, no problem--used my AT&T from any and every (almost!) payphone. Summer of 2004--impossible. No one could tell my why. AT&T is my preferred card to use because I can add minutes so easily while traveling. And the cost is only about $0.50 per minute, as opposed to much higher charges if using a credit card (astronomical!).

Lately, I have been relying on using my AT&T card on phones in the hotel rooms. When the room doesn't have a phone, most hotel owners have been very gracious to allow me the use of their office phone to use my AT&T card. I try not to talk for long when using someone else's phone.

I HAVE purchased (and used) the 199 card in Costa Rica, but don't particularly like using it to call the states. It is, however, very convenient for making calls within the country. BTW, if you want to use it to call home, you must be sure to purchase the 3000 colones card. That card, for about $6.00, will get you approximately 12 minutes of call time-if I remember correctly.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Arenal Paraiso and Peace Lodge. I don't think they have phones in their rooms, but I'm hoping to be able to call to check on my 15 month old a couple times a day. It's our first time away from her this long. I was hoping for a card I could use both at the hotel and on pay phones. I may buy the AT&T and try it. I'll also buy the other one just in case. I guess I can always use whatever At&T minutes I don't use, here when I get back. I appreciate any feedback you guys have.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 08:50 AM

We were in Costa Rica in February, I used my AT&T card exclusively. I only had a problem at the airport on my way home. The phone I was trying to use was a 199 phone. It looked newer than some of the phones I had used before. I looked around and found an older looking phone and it worked fine. Actually, the phone I was trying to use had a digital readout as you dialed the number. The phones that worked did not have that feature. Also before we left, I changed my AT&T long-distance plan to an international plan (the International Anywhere Plan). I just called them and explained my situation. This plan allowed you to call anywhere in the US for 27 cents/min. from Costa Rica - the only catch was that you had to spend at least $9.95 per month - otherwise, you are charged $9.95 or the difference. We were actually charged $2 because we didn't spend the whole amount! We cancelled when we got home. It worked out great for us. Hope this helps.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Great! So if I buy a prepaid card, I may still be able to use it at the airport as long as I look for the older phones? That's great news. Thank you.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 01:28 PM

mosey10 -- I might have steered you wrong! My AT&T card is from my home phone long-distance account. I think the access number is the same - but if you call AT&T, they can tell you if it will work the same as mine, however, I think it might be more expensive. They will be able to tell you that, also. The CR access # is 0-800-0-114-114, the US # is 1-800-225-5288. Hope this helps and sorry for the wrong information, I wasn't thinking 'purchased cards". Good luck.