Search

TOWNS NEAR PV???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOWNS NEAR PV???

I am curious if one would recommend renting a car/jeep to travel outside of PV. We have 7 days there and we are an adventurous group. Not so much for tours... Is it worth renting a vehicle or are there other spots to see by boat or small plane? Thanks in advance.
Jelly Bean
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you "professor"! I appreciate your quick response!

Jelly Bean
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 05:33 AM

There are also some towns in the mountains, see <http://vallarta-info.com/outerlimits.html>
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Moon Publications guidebook series has an excellent book on this area "Puerto Vallarta including 300 miles of coastal coverage..." by Bruce Whipperman - with complete listings of towns both north and south of PV. If you're planning your own adventures I think this would be incredibly helpful.

You can reach these towns easily by bus or rental car. Don't know about private planes. Or places like Boca or Yelapa you can hire a water taxi from the pier at the main beach.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:00 PM

What are some sample things to see if you rent and leave PV? I also have 7 days there and am more the drivearound thecountry sort of tourist. Mountains? Ruins? Mexican culture? A general idea would help. Thanks!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 12:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Leaving PV you will see the highway, cars, busses, possibly donkeys carrying loads. You will come to smaller Mexican towns, roadside food stands, beautiful beaches, and even go into the mountains &/or jungle. There are no ruins that I am aware of in the area.

As far as "Mexican culture" if you mean local people going about their lives, well there's plenty of that. People setting up their taco stands each morning, fishermen selling their catch, parents doing their grocery shopping, moms and grandmas doing the laundry, kids going to school. Take a walk along The Malecon in the evening or go sit in the cathedral in El Centro for awhile if you want to observe normal life in PV.

The "fiestas" advertised are made for tourist consumption, I would not consider them a look at real culture, but maybe other people feel different about those type activities.