Puerta Vallarta

Old Aug 19th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerta Vallarta

Looking for a village near Puerta Vallarta, in February.
__________________________________________________ _______
A small town or quaint village that is not swamped by tourists.
(OK, I am also a tourist.)
A beach area would be nice but not necessary.
Farm markets nearby.
Locals grilling chicken in a 50 gallon drum, rice and beans.
Artsy and taquerias.
Some ex-pats because I don’t speak Spanish.
Thank you,
John
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have not been, but look at San Pancho. North of PV.

https://www.goatsontheroad.com/15-th...pancho-mexico/
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 12:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
None are exactly what you describe but I think San Pancho is a good suggestion. Also Ricon de Guayambitos.

Bucerias and Sayulita but there are plenty of tourists and ex-pats in those.

But actually you can find what you describe right within Puerto Vallarta if you just go inland into the local Mexican residential neighborhoods away from the beach.

ps - and for purposes of easier research it's spelled PuertO Vallarta
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 04:59 AM

Your main problem with your "A small town or quaint village that is not swamped by tourists." is where you would stay ?
If you want to avoid tourist, stay away from the beach LOL.
One location south of Vallarta, may fit your bill?
Yelapa is a small village with a decent beach and some accommodation options. During the day there will be tourists arriving by boat, theres no road access due to our mountains, but by late afternoon they will all leave and there are only a few resident gringos.
You'll find some accommodation options here Welcome to Yelapa, Jalisco, Mexico
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 05:02 AM

As suze mentioned, even in Puerto Vallarta, if you move away from the beach, you'll find all your requirements.
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:19 AM

Upon reading your post, I was immediately brought back to San Pancho or (officially called San Francisco). I was in the area for 5 months last year and got to know many small towns and villages.
San Pancho, is the place you seek if you wish to be be in a small town with laid back quiet afternoons by the beach or sipping a cool drink at one of many restaurants in town and on the beach. A very clean, quiet, safe and less expensive than many tourist havens such as PV.
They have a market on every Wednesday and many small arts and craft shops. The beach (unlike PV) is very clean and quite swimmable, very wide and quite frankly is the best I have seen in the whole area... and I am a strong supporter of the beaches on the Caribbean side of Mexico.
Again this year, we have chosen to stay in the immédiate area and when we feel like going into town for dinner or to meet friends, the distance is but a short bus ride into the old town. By the way, you are also very close to Sayulita, Bucerias, La Cruze de Guanacastle and Rincon de Guayabitos, all small areas that deserve a visit.
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 08:54 AM

San Pancho is less quiet these days, especially in February. With our growing middle class, with more cars (and soon a shorter drive from Guadalajara) you'll find a lot more National tourists there, especially weekends. That's why I recommended Yelapa, no road so you can't drive there!
Short bus drive to PV ? over an hour, using two busses!
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 03:55 AM

Yelapa, is an excellent choice, but for a day excursion only... This chap (from what he says) is looking for a quaint village, not an Indiana Jones or Robinson Caruso adventure. I loved Yelapa myself, but would not recommend it to a person or persons looking for a quaint village for culture and authentic Mexican food. The logistics involved here are quite complicated when you consider having to find the unmarked bus to take you to Boca de Tomatlan (45 minutes) then take the water taxi with luggage in tow ( another 45 minutes). Once there you quickly realize that it is a dead end with not much to offer but overpriced beer on the beach and once you have seen the waterfall and toured the small huts clustered around a beaten path and the forgotten hippies still living in the past, you return to the beach for a swim and wait for the water taxi to return...in which case, if you miss the last one at about 5.00 pm, you are stuck there till next morning, by the way, the small hotels there are a far cry from what you would normally expect... like electricity...
By the way, the bus (Camino) or colectivo will take you from San Pancho directly into center town near the marina, if you choose to go further, you would then have to take a second mode of transport... all within the one hour timeline !
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 05:01 AM

Don't know what an"unmarked bus " is ? the Boca bus from the south side of town takes 30min, for 8 pesos. Water taxi is about 25min, 90 pesos, including your luggage.
Rohelio must been have been there years ago, now plenty of electricity, even good internet connections & Sat. TV!
Some very nice accommodation also. Casa Pericos, more here, Welcome to Yelapa, Jalisco, Mexico
The center of town in Vallarta is downtown, 30min south of the Marina. So over 90 min. if traffic is good.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 08:13 AM

Staying in Puerto Vallarta itself doesn't have to be so touristy. My husband and I stayed there for a month living like the locals in a condo near the Walmart/Sams Club shopping area. Right around the corner from us were tons of local streets and residential areas to be explored with local shopping, restaurants and activities. If we ever wanted to go to the beach, we could either walk for half an hour or call an Uber to take us to the main tourist attractions. It may be worth looking into.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 11:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
what you would normally expect... like electricity...

Yelapa has had electricity for many years now (8-10 years ago or so it was put in??)