Torres del paine in November

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Claudia

Torres del paine in November

I was planning on going to Torres del Paine national park in November, but I heard that November was the worst time because the winds were up to 100 mph at that time. Any comments - has anyone been there in November?

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 04:40 PM
DJ

To Claudia,
Have been to the park at that time of year and did not have problems with the weather. It was comfortable with a jacket or vest and we did not experience any overly strong winds during our 6 day stay. It's a spectacular place to visit with some of the most breathtaking scenery I have seen in our many travels. If you enjoy the outdoors and few tourists than you will have a great time.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Rocco

I will be in Torres Del Paine at the beginning of December and from all the research I have done, there should be no problems with November.
I am sure that it will get very cool at night and there will be some winds but 100mph sounds excessive.
Just curious...where are you staying while in Torres Del Paine???

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Dave

We were in TDP in Feb 2001. It seems that the wind kept blowing steadily at 50-70 MPH. It was not a significant problem to us, though.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 02:07 PM
ellen

Was in Torres in November and had rain, sleet, snow, hail, fog and 50-60 mph winds. I would not have missed one minute of the trip; it was spectacular. For scenery, there is nothing like it and when those great Horns appear, you will forget all about the wind.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:17 AM
Claudia

Any suggestions on where to stay in Torres del Paine, and in Punta Arenas? Did any of you rent a car there? Do you need a 4wd?

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:42 PM
DJ

Hi again Claudia,

Can' remember the name of the Hotel we stayed at in Punta Arenas but do remember that it had belonged to the Braun Family and was part of their estate. It was right in town and was very nice. I'm sure you can search it out on the web. In the national park we stayed at the Explora en Patagonia. This is a wonderful lodge type hotel. It's quite expensive but well worth the cost. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and most have a wonderful view of the glacial lake waters and the spectacular Towers. This was a fabulous site to wake up to each morning. The ammenities throughout the lodge are very good and the food was excellent along with the views from the large picture windows in the restaurant. Lots of excursions offered as well. The staff were very solicitous and it was a great experience in every respect. We were transported to the park from Punta Arenas in a vehicle provided by the Explora Hotel as part of their package. At that time it was about a 6 hr. drive with a stop for lunch in a small town along the way. Don't remember their specific website but just try the name and I'm sure it will come up. I would highly recommend a stay there if the budget permits. Hope this info helps.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Claudia

Explora is not in our budget. Any other suggestions for both Torres del Paine and Punta Arenas?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Rocco

You can try Hosteria Las Torres. I will be there for five nights in mid-December. It is about $200 per night but does not include transfers, meals or excursions. By the time you factor all that in, you may be at $400 per night but that is still half the price as Explora.
I have worked with a really good agent who patiently worked with me for a month before I finally sent in my 50% deposit last week. This agent just killed every other agents price and is associated with a more popular Chile travel website. He put together a wonderful package going to Vina Del Mar, San Pedro De Atacama, Santiago and Patagonia (Torres Del Paine). If you would like his info, feel free to email me.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Anne

I was in Torres the first half of November and had incredible weather. 5 days of sunny weather, some days it made it up in the 70's. But the cold weather clothing came in handy when crossing the lakes by catamaran and hiking to glacier grey. My guide told me that the winds are not so bad in November in late spring, but are strongest in summer, December/January. I noticed very little wind. If anyone plans to go in October, take note. 3 weeks before I arrived in early November, I was told that at least knee-deep snow blanketed all the trails and conditions were miserable. But everyone in Torres will tell you that you can have any given weather any day of the year.