Alsace in November?

Search

Alsace in November?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alsace in November?

We have never been to Alsace, but we are thinking about renting a gite there in mid-November. Any comments on what the climate/atmosphere is like then? Thanks.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 12:55 PM

I have been in Alsace twice in November - once in early November and once late November. Both times it was cold, with a fair amount of rain, but also some clear, sunny days. Also incredibly foggy in the early mornings and mid-evenings (so much so I was petrified to drive, and I'm one who loves to drive in France). We had snow on the late-November trip. The Eiwein was really good, though.

If some inclement weather won't bother you, I'd certainly go for it. To me, it was far more interesting visiting that time of year than in mid-summer when it's packed.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM

I would check some historical weather data for Strasbourg,eg., on www.wunderground.com/history and see what you think of the temperatures. As long as you don't mind the real possibility of cold weather, Alsace should be just as nice that time of year as any other time, minus the tourists.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 05:43 PM

That should have been Eiswein.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 06:06 PM

If I were renting a gite I would want details of the heating system before signing up. We were there late Oct one year and it was chilly and rainy for 3 of 4 days. Obviously that won't be true of every day - but November in europe north of the alps isn't really for country living IMHO.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 02:03 AM

StCirq, I was wondering about the egg wine, but in France they are always good for culinary experiments ;-)

November is a chilly month. Temperatures could be below zero or a bit above zero, but +10°C would be considered a heat wave. The weather can be a mix of everything like any other time of the year. Snowfall is possible but not very likely down in the valley, there can be some snow up in the Vosges and the Black Forest but no guarantees. You are likely to encounter the most uncomfortable weather conditions of all: temperatures slightly above zero, rain and strong wind. Bring appropriate clothing. Sunny days are of course possible but the sunlight will be rather pale. Daylight hours are short. It is dark after 5 p.m. Autumn colours will be mostly gone, those few leaves left on the trees look more miserable than beautiful. Mid November is also too early for Christmas markets and stuff, although the shops will already be decorated. The advantage of this off-season month is: no crowds and lower prices.
Generally speaking, November is a good time for city trips and culture but not for countryside and outdoor activities.