Search

The Royal Cancun - Beware

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Royal Cancun - Beware

Back from a trip to Cancun where we stayed at the Royal.

would like to advise those thinking about going of a couple things. They advertise several things that they do not follow through with. Overall we thought the place was beautiful, best bed I've ever slept in, decent food, etc..

They advertise that if you pay up for certain rooms you get an "assigned cabana" on the beach. This is a lie. They don't do it anymore so don't pay the extra money to get it. Second, the corner rooms are advertised as having a two sided view of the ocean and they charge more for it. Our view was of air conditioning units. There are pictures on Tripadvisor from another guy who was sold the same bill of goods. His view was of the next door hotels storage room with no windows. these pictures are true.

We complained, have never met a bigger jerk than the general manager of this hotel. No apologies, no admission that the services advertised on their website were not provided, nothing but arguments and a final shrug. I also punctured my foot in the surf on concrete with a piece of metal they had thrown in to try to save their beach from erosion. Had to take myself into cancun to find my own tetanus shot when all along they had an onsite doctor that could have seen me. When I was bleeding on the beach you've never seen more people scramble to get me out off the beach and out of the hotel to fend for myself.

if you go, buy the basic room and you'll be fine. do not pay up for extra features.. the staff is great, management is not. I hope you have no issues because if you do, you'll be out of luck.

I discovered one other thing through all of this.. I booked through expedia. I went through their hotel review process when done with my trip. I wrote true, non-exaggerated descriptions of my trip and experiences. I followed their rules. They kicked 5 reviews back and wouldn't post any of them citing that my review had broken the rules.. they would never answer which one and never posted. WHY ? because I ranked my experience a 2 and they won't have that for a hotel they represent apparently. Very disappointing.

I am a CFO of a company. Have traveled extensively. My wife and I have never been treated more poorly by management, nor have we ever been sold a bill of goods like this in all of our travels. Very disappointing. This was our 15th anniversary (and we were kid-less). We left the trip feeling ripped off.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

s
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Interesting report, thank you. That's too bad to hear about expedia. Did you review it on tripadvisor?
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

yes i did.. one of the other guys posted pictures of his "view". If you look up The Royal and shuffle through (last time I looked his review was like the 34th or 35th review posted) you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. I had read expedia and all the glowing reviews. Now I know why they are all glowing i think..

still very nice place just don't pay up for cabanas or views..
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

b