The perfect Mexican beach???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan a trip to Mexico for sometime next year. I'd like to fly to Mexico City to stay with a friend for a few days and then the plan would be for the two of us to head to the beach. My mind is totally open as to where we go, as long as it is beautiful, safe and authentically Mexican...no Cancun! I also need advice on how to get there and where to stay, safely and on a budget. Also, I'm thinking of going sometime between February and May....any suggestions? Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:10 AM

leg114 - please tell me if this resort you are speaking of is AI? Also, can you tell me how much it would cost for 2 for 1 week?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:11 AM

Sorry, my message should've been addressed to Carole22.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:43 PM

Carole-Fodor's has strict rules on NO SOLICITING OR ADVERTISING!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 05:06 AM

I asked Carole a question and she responded to me. I don't consider that advertising or soliciting.

Thanks for your reply Carole.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:04 AM

Bahia de Tenacatita for sure!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:34 AM

Have you considered Isla Mujeres, which is a very small island 20 minutes off Cancun, so it's easy to get to from Cancun, but is a really authentic Mexican experience? It is also a relatively inexpensive place to stay. If it interests you, have a look at www.isla-mujeres.net which has tons of information on where to stay, etc. and has a very active forum.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:06 AM

I would go to Zippolite.

Much more Mexican than anywhere else mentioned so far and good if you are on a budget. Beers cost less than 50 cents with waitress service and the seafood is excellent. It is truly beautiful and much nicer than the beaches on the east coast.

To get there, take a flight or bus from Mexico City to Oaxaca and then catch a bus to Zippolite.

Zippolite is safe but you should not walk into the jungle after dark as there are nasty bandits about. Keep to the beach area and you will be fine. The Mexicans who run bars and restaurants are very protective of tourists but you are in one of the poorest areas of the country and there are people living on next to nothing who see stealing from tourists as fair game.

You should also watch out for the rip tide when swimming - Zippolite means "Beach of the Dead" as at least one tourist drowns each month.

Don't let that out you off though.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:30 AM

Yes, please stay away from Cancun if you want the real Mexico. I would recommend heading towards Oaxaca and the Beaches of Huatulco.

If you are planning on just driving however, it could be a little difficult to get to. We flew into Oaxaca, and then took a 4-5 hour bus through the mountains to finally reach Huatulco.

This area of Mexico hasn't been developped into a tourist haven yet. There are 7 "Bays of Huatulco" only some of which are accesible by car. The rest you can reach by boat...

Some of the best snorkeling and beach hopping I have ever done.

Just a consideration. Within the next 5-10 years this part of Mexico is expected to become even more touristy, so get there soon!
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 07:38 PM

A second vote for Isla Mujeres. We have been to Mexico several times (Ixtapa, Cancun, Akumal) and Playa Norte on Isla gets my vote.

On another topic, Carole posts responses to promote her private villa that is for rent. She directs people to that website, and yes, that is forbidden by Fodors.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Pacific coast!! Fly into Puerto Vallarta, spend time there & bus north to Sayulita, etc. or south towards Barre de Navidad. Lots of smaller beach towns within 3 hours either direction. I would fly from DF as it would be a LONG bus ride. Weather is normally beautiful the months you mentioned.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 08:18 AM

A second vote for Huatulco. Oaxaca city well worth a stop over and snokeling on the coast is idyllic. we stayed at a cheap posada once that was very comfortable if you are on a budget. The taxi fares to the beach areas are posted in the square at crusecita and very reliable for picking you up at the end of the day. The long ride from Oaxaca to the coast is spectacular and worth the time.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 12:03 PM

http://www.clubmaeva.com/

by Mexicans for Mexicans

met the owner - developer of the resort and his handsome law student son
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Search under: La Manzanilla
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 12:09 AM

Passed by Carole's place this past June....What a bunch of tacky, crammed together, condo type, "villas"!