Beach Resort in Upscale Twon

May 28th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Beach Resort in Upscale Twon

Yesterday, I asked for 4 or 5 star resort. I really want that type of resort directly on the beach. Walk out the door and be on the beach ( not crossing a street). We want this beach resort to be in an upscale town. Any help? I am not be snobby, but know what my family likes.
May 28th, 2003, 05:35 PM

I didn't see your OP. What is your general geographic requirement?
May 28th, 2003, 05:40 PM

Looks like you got quite a number of responses to your post yesterday--didn't notice any acknowledgement, though.
May 28th, 2003, 05:41 PM

I'm curious....what/where is Twon?
May 28th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

pretty funny, thanks to yesterday's answers
May 29th, 2003, 07:13 AM

*sigh* There were any number of good suggestions in that thread, but if I had to hone in on one, here it is:

Surf and Sand Resort. Laguna Beach, CA.

Classy resort, spa facilities, direct beach access, ritzy but bohemian coastal town. Laguna Beach is historically an artists' haven and some old-time movie stars had their homes here due to its natural beauty and distance from the studios; one of these, and a regular participant in the Pageant of the Masters (an annual exhibition of tableaux vivants) was Bette Davis.

Does this help at all?
May 29th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. I had been interested in Laguana, until my neighbor told me it was a carnival atmosphere in the summer.
Do you think this is true? I am wondered about Hotel del. Thanks for all your input.
May 30th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Didn't see your original post. But what about Amelia Island, FL? There is a Ritz, as well as the Amelia Island Plantation. Both of which would fit your parameters of being on the beach. The town of Fernandina is nice, quiet, but offers history, boutique shopping and great dining.
May 30th, 2003, 07:19 AM

Marci77: Lovely suggestion, except this request is specifically for southern California.

alawes: Laguna Beach, a "Carnival" atmosphere? Not exactly. On the weekends, the city does get hopping. Lots of people strolling around, lots of people on the beach. The Art Festival and the Pageant of the Masters also bring in people. But it's still an upscale town, a little bohemian, a lot beautiful. If you want peace and quiet, the Surf and Sand is maybe a mile south of downtown LB-- plenty quiet. The Montage, the new property in south LB, is more isolated and quieter still. You want exclusive/isolated? The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel (in Dana Point) is pretty much out by itself, very luxurious.

The Del is a historic hotel, architecturally notable, maybe with musty rooms here and there. Ask to see the room first, if you're truly concerned.
May 31st, 2003, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion about checking the room first for Del. Sounds good
Jun 1st, 2003, 06:39 AM
jd

If you are interested in ocean swimming, you might want to get the info on just how often swimming is prohibited due to pollution. I know someone who lives next to the Del 4 months a year and he says the water is polluted a lot and no swimming allowed. When we were there in April there was no swimming.