Temperature in Arenal Area

Mar 9th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Temperature in Arenal Area

Hi! We am going to Costa Rica at the end of March. Does anyone know the high and low temperature in the Arenal Volcano area? We are staying at the Tabacon Resort. We are flying Sansa and will have a weight limit on our luggage so any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Mar 9th, 2003, 07:53 AM

Hi There:
This is great website for weather throughout the country and also shows annual rain fall broken down into areas and towns.
http://www.costarica.com/weather/
Good Luck!
Michael
Mar 9th, 2003, 11:04 AM

Has Sansa resumed flights to the Arenal area? Last I heard there weren't any commercial flights into La Fortuna.
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

We are actually going to Playa Conchal first and then going to Arenal by car. We are flying Sansa to Tamarindo and boy is that 25 pound weight limit tough! My suitcase weighs 8lbs without anything in it!
Mar 10th, 2003, 04:57 AM

You most likely won't need anything heavy. I went to Tabacon in the early evening just a few weeks ago and it was very comfortable.
For those of you flying and are worried about the weight. If you are not hopping around too much, I would pack a small gym bag or similar to put some things in if you are over the weight limit. Chances are that within the same day or the next they will get your bag to you.
Mar 10th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Iza

As to the weight limit on domestic flights in CR: consider packing your things into a lightweight duffel bag and not a suitcase. They take less space and don't weigh as much and are also much easier to load on those small planes flying in Costa Rica.

For Arenal, when we were there in August of 2001, it was damp and rather cool so we were glad to have long pants and long sleeve shirts. Even with those in our bags, we had no problem staying more or less within the weight limit for our 2 week trip.
Mar 10th, 2003, 05:40 PM

Back from there 2 weeks ago. It was quite chilly and rainy at times. The mountain makes its own weather so it can be hot and sunny in La Fortuna and a mass of rain and fog at the volcano. Make sure you have a GoreTex raincoat, long pants and shirt and a sweater. You may not need them but if you do you'll be happy you brought them if you do. Hiking boots and good sox are a must too.

That said, the weather is very changable. We did have many hours of sun and saw the cone exposed and saw and heard volcanis eruptions both day and night.

Also, there are no flights from San Jose to that area.
Mar 10th, 2003, 08:22 PM

After reading the last post from Kenstee there must have been a big weather change. Because of El Nino there has been some unusually cool and rainy weather come through. A cool front had just gone through when we arrived in Jan. and and couple of weeks later while down on the Osa we heard another one was going through.
We were just lucky I guess to have been in La Fortuna between them.
Sometimes up around the Observatory Lodge it can be cooler and rainier.
A good idea to have is a pair of long pants that zip off to make shorts. It saves on weight because they are light and you can pack one less item. Columbia makes a nice pair of lightweight nylon zipper pants. They are pretty fast drying and you can just rinse them out if they get muddy.
Even with my husbands heavy camera equipment and some rain gear we can keep our backpacks for a 3-4wk trip at around 25-30lbs.
Mar 12th, 2003, 04:18 PM

We were at the Arenal Lodge. The weather at the lodges close to to volcano - and at a relatively higher altitude - seem to have the most changable weather.

BTW, the weather we experienced was due to the abnormally cold air rushing down from the USA in mid-February.

Search this Thread