Suze - PV public transportation

Old Jan 17th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Slw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suze - PV public transportation

Suze, we are going to be staying in a condo at Sunscape in a few weeks. Car rental is pretty high so we thought we'd try public transportation. We will walk a lot too. Places we will want to go are marina, downtown, romantic zone, grocery. Is this doable with taxi, Uber and walking?
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 10:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hola slw~ Yes public transportation is very good in PV. A car rental would be WAY more hassle than help.

Your hotel is in the northern part of the Hotel Zone. It's too far to easily walk to the other areas you mentioned specifically, but there's certainly shops, plazas, grocery stores, and businesses nearby you could poke around just on foot (I don't know that part of town very well because I stay down in Old Town/Zona Romantica).

What I use most often is just the local bus system. It's only 7.5 peso per ride (about 40 cents).

Local town taxis are literally everywhere, most are yellow in color. Rates are set by zones, so just ask you hotel front desk what a fare should be (say going to Centro, or going to Southside) and double-check that fare *before* getting into a taxi.

I am not an Uber user myself (no smart phone) but it has become recently available and posters (over on TA PV) have been reporting mostly favorable experiences using that.

When you first arrive the airport my suggestion it to use a white federal airport taxi. You purchase a ticket in a bright yellow booth in the airport lobby. Prices are posted and set by zone and can be paid with USD, peso, or charge card. The prices (as at most airports) are higher than town taxis, but it is the easiest and quickest way to get to your resort after arrival.

Let me know if there's anything I missed or needing clarification. Enjoy PV!! ~suze
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Slw
Original Poster

Thanks Suze, very helpful. I've been using your posts here and TA to help plan our trip.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 11:21 AM

de nada. My pleasure. I love PV and am happy to answer. If you have any other questions about coming in thru the airport, things to see and do, recommendations, special events, any other odds and ends, I'll help if I can.

And I just can't stress enough how much you DON'T want a car -haha.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Slw
Original Poster

Suze, we will be in PV 2/4 - 2/13. If you are aware of any special events I'd love to know. I am checking a few websites. I do have a question about taxis - you just step out to the curb and hail one? We have some activities pre-planned: the Rhythms of the Night (I know...but still.), Taco Adventure tour, Hidden Mexico tour, Luxury Sailing (hubby loves it), and Jorullo Bridge tour. I know that's a lot of tours but we enjoy having the guides and as we are getting pretty old it's a little easier. We also want to visit the botanical gardens and do the Art Walk. Oh, information about local shops- bakeries, confectionary, ice cream, cool stuff, etc. would be welcome.

Last edited by Slw; Jan 18th, 2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: added more info
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 08:44 AM

Yes you can hail them, but before that probably a driver will be shouting out to you "Taxi?". If you are leaving from your hotel there might be a taxi line outside of it where they would be parked and waiting, so you wouldn't even have to hail. What you do want to do though - have an idea what the price should be and confirm it before getting in. Say I'm getting into a taxi in the line outside Ley grocery store, I'd say (in either English or Spanish) the name of where I was trying to go & or the cross streets, then check the price "50 peso? Si?" or something like that. Just to avoid misunderstanding or inflated price after you've taken the ride.

Wow that's a LOT of tours. I've never done any of those things so can't help with that. Also what I know best is only Zona Romantica and Southside. I'm not at all familiar with what's around your resort. But I will make another post and just list some favorite places on the "southside" in case you happen to have some time to spend in the area... eating, shopping, etc. is the BEST puerto vallarta has to offer, from my point of view. And there's lots of free entertainment too!
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 10:01 AM

I don't think you are going to have much free time with your proposed schedule (lol!) but here are my favorite things to do in Vallarta:

Stroll the Malecon - see the street performers, the acrobats, the artists and musicians. Cervezeria Union or Vitea are two rstaurant I like a lot there with ocean views and good food.

Watch the sunset from the Pier at Playa Los Muertos (beach on the southside). Have dinner at Daiquiri Dicks or Langostinos (both beach-front and water views).

Saturday morning 9:30am - 2:00pm the Olas Altas Farmers Market in the Lazaro Cardenas plaza. Puerto Vallarta Old Town Map - Vallartainfo see location of pier & plaza on this map. For local artists (both Mexican and expats), food court, sometimes live music, lots of stalls like chocolate, coffee, bakeries, tamales, fruit, juice, sweets, etc.

Same website has an Events calendar but JR doesn't have February up yet, check back later on Monthly Events Calendar - Vallartainfo
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 11:39 AM

I stayed not far from there when in PV, I just used local buses but that's what I tend to do in most places, do what the locals do. I think I did hail a cab somehow (or just found them on the street around popular areas) to go back at the end of the evening, though, for ease, but just took the bus into town for sighseeing or dinner, etc. Buses go right down route 200. Route 13 is one that goes from about the Marina to central PV. So does route 23 and 21 and 21A and 12, probably others. Just take a bus that has "CENTRO" on the windshield but NOT also TUNEL unless you want to go to the ROmantic Zone as they skip downtown (buses with TUNEL on them).

this is some info on using buses
Bus Routes and Bus Fares for Puerto Vallarta

this has useful info also but the fare it outdate, it's 7.5 pesos
https://www.puertovallarta.net/fast_facts/how_to_move

I think you can check specific bus routes on here
https://rutasvallarta.com/
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Slw
Original Poster

Again - THANKS Suze. Those are great suggestions. We have 7 whole + 2 travel days and most of the activities are just 1/2 day so we actually have plenty of spare time. We are not much for sitting for hours on the beach. We just want a great view while we sip our coffee on the condo balcony.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 01:12 PM

Christina - Where did you find those route numbers? I've never seen a number on a PV bus.
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 04:36 PM

Unfortunately Madre Gras is on the night of of Feb 13. Guess you will be gone that day.
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 08:00 AM
Slw
Original Poster

Christina that is great info, thank you. Stewbear, yes leaving that day.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 09:18 AM

We took the city bus everywhere but you can also travel by bus to some of the other beach towns by going to the central bus station north of the airport. We went to Rincon de Guatabitos last year- cute little beach town with beautiful beach. These buses are much nicer than city bus- more like our Greyhound. It was a fun day.

Another nice day is taking the boat to Sayulita for the day. Several beach restaurants where you can park yourself for the day.
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 09:07 AM

Mexican out of town buses are Far, Far superior to anything Greyhound has on the road.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 08:02 AM

Stewbear - but Ricon is close to PV. We're not talking the long-distance buses like I think you have in mind that you'd be on for Guadaljara or Mexico City.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 12:17 PM

Thanks for all these helpful comments on the local bus system in PV. I now have the confidence to take the local buses next trip.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 03:35 PM

Nothing hard about it, but it can be confusing the first few times until you get the hang of it (there are no published schedules, no marked bus stops, etc.).

But yes the local bus system in PV rocks!! and is seriously cheap at 7.5 peso per ride.
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 04:12 PM

Stewbear, , you are correct about the bus going to Rincon de Guayabitos. You DO need to take the bigger coach type buses to get there, similar to Greyhound. They are either the Pacifico or the Primera Plus ones that can only be taken at designated areas... The regular city buses, called camiones or the collectivos will NOT take you there.
Anyone who goes to PV regularly would know this , as you do and YES suze, they are the exact same buses that take you to Guadalajara and Mexico City.
PS please note that there is a one hour difference between Rincon and PV.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 08:22 AM

There are no 'colectivos' in Puerto Vallarta, only in Nayarit.
For events see here Monthly Events Calendar - Vallartainfo
and for maps here The Bay - Vallartainfo
Bus Routes and Bus Fares for Puerto Vallarta is quite out of date, try here Transportation - Vallartainfo