Puerta Vallarta, Mexico

Jun 28th, 2019, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Puerta Vallarta, Mexico

THANKS SO MUCH FOR HELPING US!

New to Mexico....We are 2 active seniors who are considering staying in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, next Feb. and March. (A Bay View Grand condo) Is this good location? Will we need to rent a car? We are golfers. Are there reasonably priced golf courses nearby? Could you please give us the PROS and CONS of this area and questions that we should definitely ask.

Many thanks for your time!!
Suzy
G
Jun 28th, 2019, 11:17 AM

That is The Marina District. If you are not familiar with PV you can get to know the lay of the land with these excellent maps from JR's website. Here is the Marina map then click down to move around the city. https://vallartainfo.com/puerto-vallarta-marina-map/

You do not need a rental car. You do not want a rental car! Taxis, buses, and now Uber are all readily available.

The "pros" are you are in Puerto Vallarta!! For me the "con" would be that the Marina is a ways outside Centro/downtown and Old Town/zona romantica, the Malecon, the places I like to hang out. But since you are new to PV, you may not have this preference at all. The Marina is lovely, upscale, near the airport. Just not a part of town I know very well myself.

Sorry don't know about golf.

I've vacationed in Vallarta 30+ times starting in the early 1990's. I go twice a year and plan to spend longer there once I retired. I love the city and can't say enough about the friendly, welcoming locals. The people in PV are my favorite thing... next to gorgeous scenery, great weather, amazing food, vibrant arts, theater, food scene. Of course the beach, sunsets, etc.

So while my preference and activities are slightly different than yours, I would do what you are proposing in a heart-beat! I can think of no negatives. Other than making sure you have a good rental arrangement you are comfortable with.

buena suerte~ suze
Jun 29th, 2019, 05:57 AM

Golf is expensive here, the most economical is Flamingos out in Nuevo Vallarta.
Public transport is excellent, plus taxis and also UBER now ��
I'm the owner of vallartainfo.com that Suze mentioned and you'll find a, somewhat dated, page on our golf courses,
https://vallartainfo.com/puerto-vallarta-golf/
Jun 30th, 2019, 04:27 AM

Stayed 3 months there last winter and enjoyed it. Dozens of restaurants right there along the marina itself. The golf course is one block down from where we were but quite expensive. The lady at the country club counter suggested we go on the internet to get costs and better pricing but found it still expensive so we decided otherwise. You can also go to the Marriott hotel on the beach, it is open to everyone should you wish to see the whales or have a beer and something to eat, prices are a little steep but ok once in a while.No need for a car rental, buses everywhere and very cheap. Close to an hour by bus to the old city core but walking distance to WalMart and Liverpool complex.
Also nice to walk over for the groceries on the main thoroughfare. There is an open air market every Thursday from 6 to 10 along the docks and very enjoyable. You are literally 5 minutes from the airport...
Jul 1st, 2019, 05:07 AM

The bus from the marina to downtown takes no more than 30min.
Jul 5th, 2019, 06:40 AM

We just got back from Puerto Vallarta last night, although we stayed at Garza Blanca this time. However, we have stayed at the Westin in the Marina District twice. I like that area. It isn't as "authentic" as the area around the Malecon but it's pretty pleasant. A number of restaurants walking distance. A really good Italian restaurant at the Marina is Porto Bello. We ate there several times during our two trips to that area. For breakfast, we ate at Victor's Place Cafe Tacuba every morning. It's outside right on the pier. You can take the bus to Old Town as others have indicated but you could also catch a taxi. They're pretty cheap. We did that and if I remember correctly it took about 15 minutes to get to the Malecon.