Suggestions for last leg of our trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2009, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're staying four nights at Duplooy's, one night at Tikal and then we head for the cayes. We have five more nights. We could spend the 5 nights on Ambergris, or break it up between two different cayes or spend another night inland before heading for Ambergris. We'll have a car. I'd love suggestions on the best way to use our remaining time.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 05:19 AM

I'd just head to Ambergris, but, I love Ambergris.

If you had several nights 'extra', I'd suggest heading to southern Belize, Placencia, or even the Toledo district. Five nights isn't really enough to split between those areas though.

We did spend a couple nights on Caye Caulker before heading to Ambergris on one trip. It was fun. Certainly easy enough to arrange.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 06:35 AM

Definitely don't split 5 days between 2 more spots - way too much jumping around and you'd lose an extra day transitioning. Please post a travelogue when you get home - happy trails!
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 09:24 AM

Last time we stayed at Ambergris Caye and were treated great. However we found that each meal out was $100.00 US and a beer was $5 US. We stayed at a place called White Sands and it was very nice. No need for cars here are golf carts and water taxis are the norm.
We are leaving in a few weeks for a month of travel Guatemala, Honduras and finsh in Belize. This time we will try Caye Caulker. My suggestion for Tikal is that 1 day is not enough.(this coming from someone who spent 2 days in Caracol and that was not enough) 2: Take ear plugs if staying in the Tikal Park 3: If there is enough moonlight bribe the guards and get a night tour of the ruins. It was about $20. 4: Make sure you get paper work for your car to go to Guatemala. It was sure fun crossing the border. first we had to pay to leave Belize. Then we had to pay for a guy to wash our tires. Then we had to pay to enter Guatemala. Then we left our passport with the previous guy and had to pay to register the car for our trip. Went back and got our passports and thought we were home free and then someother guy in a uniform made us pay for something else as we were driving away which I still don't know what it was. And yes I would rent a car and cross the border again. Watch out for pot holes and speed bumps.

Mike
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I don't think I'll attempt to cross the border with our rental car. I emailed Eva's in San Ignacio and they said they had a parking lot we can use. Don't know if its secure, but I agree that I wouldn't be tempted to leave a rental car in an unsecured lot. I'm a little unclear about the lots people mention on the Belize side. Does anyone know if they are fenced or gaurded?
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

oops, sorry. Posted to the wrong message.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 12:33 PM

I was just on Ambergris a couple weeks ago, we were with friends, so ate at more upscale places than we usually do. That said, most places our beers were $5-6.00BZ ($2.50-3.00US) and our meals were at most $US75.00.

You can certainly spend more, but you can get wonderful meals for much less than the previous poster or even what my husband and I paid.

Normally, we eat at more local places, and lots of street food. The local stewed chicken with rice and beans is wonderful, and costs about US$5.00, or less.