Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

ambergris caye or caye caulker..do i need reservations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

My hubby and I will be traveling around Belize in Sept. (yes I know what season it is..hehe) We are hoping to get a good feel of the country. We prefer more local places, rather than big high rises and luxury hotels for this trip. We are 30 something and love local vendors, places to eat, relaxation and exploring.

We are hoping to arrive in Belize city, then spend a few days on a caye (can't decide which one) then on the mainland near Orange Walk or west and maybe travel to Guatamala for 1 day. (we have 9 days total)

I am all about making reservations and planning but MAY do as my husband suggests and wing it, trying to find a room without pre-booking it. Now, we want to go cheap style..hotels or a house rental ($50-$75 a night at the most)We want an adventure...

Do we have to make reservations for these places (since some want a 3 night minimum) or will we be able to find places to stay (for a couple of days) if we just show up at their door?

wbs
Courtney
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 03:01 PM

In September you can just show up. What part of September are you traveling? September 21 is Independence Day. We've been on Ambergris the past couple years during that time. Lots of absolutely wonderful street food, music, fireworks, a parade. Very few tourists.

If you don't mind the fact that some restaurants are closed for renovation/vacation, it's a great time to visit Belize.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thank you for the fast reply. We are going Sept. 8-16th. Darn, already got approved for those days and have airfare, didn't know about the festival...

Now, I have never done this kind of travel. I have seen some sites with little cottages on the cayes, but all want a 5 day rental. I am assuming for a house rental I need to talk to the company that does the renting and hotels, just show up.

Do you suggest Ambergris then since it is bigger?

I just realized we will be renting a car during our trip when we are on the mainland..maybe I will have to plan some things because of that.

Do you know of any oceanview hotels, cottages that are inexpensive on either caye?
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM

My husband and I first went to Ambergris five years ago, and fell in love with the place. I sometimes wonder if we had gone to Caulker first, it that would have been our favorite.

Ambergris is way busier. The beaches are also better. It's also more expensive.

There are some places on Ambergris in your price range, Hotel del Rio, Ruby's, Lily's, even Banana Beach, with it's 25% off summer rates. You'll have more options on Caulker.

You can't take a car to either Caye, you can just rent one when you get back to Belize City.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JeanH,

Those places are perfect. I think we will arrive in Belize City and check the weather. Rent a car for a day and head north, stay the night, then take a water taxi to Ambergris Caye. (I have to see if I can return the car somewhere besides Belize City) Stay 3 days, head back to the mainland, pick up a car that allows Guatamala travel and head west.

Is it possible to rent a car other than Belize city? Also, are there any websites you know of that have all of this info..so I don't have to ask you so many questions!?

Courtney

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 05:08 PM

Hi courtneyclv,

My GF and I went to Belize last September, mid-month if I recall, and split our time between St Ignacio and Caye Caulker.

We stayed at a really nice hotel in Caye Caulker called Seaside Cabanas. It's one of the 2 hotels on the island with a pool although we didn't use it because we were in the water all day anyway. A regular room should be in your price-range. A plus is that Seaside Cabanas is right next to the CC ferry pier. Caye Caulker is very low-key.

Mid-Sept is the SLOW season. A lot of restaurants are closed. But there are always a few open so don't worry. Good thing is you'll feel like you have the place to yourself. As for snorkle/sail/reef tours, there is always one or two outfits open for business. When JeanH mentioned that you'd have more options on CC I believe she meant that you'd have more options "in "your price-range" on CC.

BTW, I went to Ambergris Caye several years ago and stayed at Ruby's. Good location etc but IMO Ambergris was about to explode even then.
However, there are definetly more options on Ambergris and since you are going off-season I bet you'd have no problem "winging-it".

Also, I doubt the place you end up staying at would require a 3 day booking. That's usually reserved for more expensive resorts or house rentals.

And sorry, don't know anything about car rentals. Both times to the Western Border were on the "chicken bus". ;-)