going to guatamala- car rental in belize

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

going to guatamala- car rental in belize

Hi,
I know that Crystal Car rental allows you to go over the border with no insurance. I think the only place to return the car is back in Belize City.

Are there any other companies that will allow you to go to Guatamala?

I will have 8 days in Belize and will not have a set itinerary...it will be based on the weather basically..and that will decifer where we drive to and when. I am looking into arriving in Belize City and traveling to Guatamala (1 night), Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker (2-3 nights), and the Orange Walk/jungle area, san ugnacio..in a big circle.

The problem is that when we do go to a caye..where will we drop off the car for 2-3 days? and then how will we get a car when we take our water taxi back?

The car situation will also help us plan on where and when we can go places. We want to see and stay in very local places where there is a lot to explore.

wbs

Coutney

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM

Here's my 2 cents' worth:
I'd plan my schedule despite the weather - our summer visit a few years ago it rained almost exclusively at night. For example, it doesn't make sense to me to go to Tikal and not do San Ignacio right before or after since you have to pass through it to get to Tikal. Also, if you leave the island time till the last you can turn the car in ahead of time and not worry about where to leave it; I prefer to save my island time for the end anyway. In 8 days I'd limit to 2 places plus an overnighter to Tikal - that way you have a few days to explore each area.

My photos and travelogue are below if you're interested (Tikal photos in Belize and Guat 2007 collections). Good luck!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM

Oops - forgot the link:
http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
That is good advice...arrive in Belize city and get a car, go to San Ignacio and Tikal. (found some great jungle resorts online) Drive back to Belize City and drop off the car..take a taxi (?) to one of the cayes and stay there. And we want mostly island time, relaxing and snorkeling..so great advice.

Is it easy to get a cab to the water taxi areas that take you to the cayes?

About how much does it cost each way to get back to Belize City from where the water taxis are? Is it very far?

Thanks again, checking out your photos now...

Courtney

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

Oh, and I just read that from San Ignacio to Tikal it is about 4-5 hours, each way...

I don't want to spend too much of my trip driving..is it worth it to go to Tikal to say I have been in Guatamala? Or should we just stay in Belize and see the ruins and jungle there?

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:09 AM

Tikal is 1.5 hrs to the Belize border (San Ignacio) and 4 hrs to Belize City.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 07:13 AM

You won't have any insurance if you take a rental car into Guatamala. Most people opt not to do it, and do transfers or the bus.

When we rented from Budget several years ago, we dropped the car right in Belize City, rather than the airport, which is a ways out. The guys there dropped us at the municipal airport, but they also would have taken us to the water taxi terminal. Belize City really isn't a very large city.

As for whether, Tikal is worth it, depends. I've never been, we'll get there one day, but there are some wonderful ruins in Belize.

I'm not sure I understood your one question, but the water taxi costs about US$15.00 one way to Ambergris and takes about 90 minutes. A bit less to Caulker and takes about an hour. On both cayes the water taxi dock is right in the middle of town.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM

If all you want to do is say you have been to Guatemala all you have to do is go shopping across the border. If you want to experience some amazing mayan temples and wildlife, do go to Tikal. I have been twice in the past two years and could easily go again. It is awesome. The temples in Belize are really nice as well but imo don't compare to Tikal. There are some differences in the ruins that are interesting to see. I would plan on being in the Tikal area the afternoon/night before. Most of the sight seeing is done in the morning. The little carts with snacks and drinks close down around 1-2pm and the place empties out a lot. My favorite time to go is in the afternoon when it is quiet and I can just sit and listen. If you left around noon hopefully you would have time to get back to Belize city. I don't know what times the water taxis run. That might influence when you actually leave Tikal and start back.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Tikal was not only a trip highlight for our family but a life highlight for all 5 of us. Definitely worth at least an overnighter in my book. Happy trails!