Search

Splurgel looking for a hotel in Antigua offering something different

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Splurgel looking for a hotel in Antigua offering something different

Hi guys,

Me and my partner are planning a trip tp antigua to celebrate our wedding anniversery.

We are looking for a place to stay that is both memorable and unique, we have been to antigua a few times before and we really like it.... last time we stayed in hotel La merced but we werent too impressed with the service so we want to try something new this time.

Looking forward to some good advice.....
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:54 PM

I don't see anything about your budget. Can you give us an idea of what you want to spend?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:18 PM

If you are looking for something memorable and unique for a wedding anniversiery then i would recommend a place called Palacio de Leonor ( http://www.palaciodeleonor.com )

I discovered this little beauty on my last visit to Antigua in November of last year.

It is romantic, centrally located and has all the colonial allure that you could possibly want!

The reason why i liked it so much was because it was the mansion of the conquistador and first governer of Guatemala. Its been beautifully restored and each room is named after a famous spanish nobleman.... it is a histroy lesson in itself. The staff when i was there were VERY helpful and accommodating and gave me a wonderful guided tour of the hotel, gardens and the terrace.

Its a must see!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:02 PM

We really enjoyed our stay at Meson Panza Verde. It's such a beautiful place..roses everywhere..I think it would be a great place to celebrate an anniversary.
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Palacio sounds good jon, i took a look at the photos it looks amazing (and probably a bit expensive too i imagine) but i like it.

Do you know what type of facilities they have and how central it is?

thanks
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Top of the line experience for a honeymoon would include Casa Santa Domingo. http://www.casasantodomingo.com.gt/
The whole place is beautiful and quite an experience with outstanding food to boot. I love visiting there each time I'm in Antigua. Unfortunately I am usually with a group that can't afford it as it's about $200 per night and up.
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Hi Karma,

The hotel is literally located half a block from the central park and is across the road from the cathedral, you couldnt ask for a better location.

As for facilities, this is a 4 star hotel and has all the luxuries that you would expect including a swimming pool, gorgoes terrace for watching the sun set, a bar and tea room, room service and all the trimmings.

As i said before tho its the atmosphere that wins the day, each room is named after a special spanish nobleman, i like the personal touch!

http://www.palaciodeleonor.com/index...emid=3&lang=en

I have also heard of casa santiago and have heard mixed reports but it is meant to be a great places to go in Antigua.
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:47 PM

We splurged and had 1 night at the end of our trip at the Santo Domingo. It was totally worth it. Elizabeth Bell (who has a travel agency and does a walking tour of Antigua) booked it for us and we got a great rate - I think it was about $116 + taxes. (That was a lot more than what we were paying elsewhere, but as I said, it was totally worth it. It's a beautiful hotel.)
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:28 AM

We haven't stayed here but my husband and I have agreed that if we go to Antigua again we would try to splurge on at least a night or two at the Casa Santo Domingo
http://www.casasantodomingo.com.gt/