Spanish Colonial Towns

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:09 AM
Howard

Spanish Colonial Towns

I live the atmosphere in old Spanish colonial towns in Latin America and the Caribbean. I am looking for suggestions for town/country to go to this November, for about 9 days, where some of the time could be spent in one of those old places. I have been to a bunch of them in Mexico (Guanajuato, San Miguel, Oaxaca, Mex City, Merida, Zacatecas, Morelia), as well as scattered others (Santo Domingo, San Juan, Cartagena, Lima, Cuzco), and am looking for something different.

One possibility I have looked into is Granada, Nicaragua and also a couple of places in Brazil (including Salvador) - for Portuguese colonial towns.

I don't want too spend too much on airfare (say more than 600 pp) which pretty mcu rules out Brazil from the NE US.

Anyone have a suggestion on places to visit?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 02:16 AM
Hi

Isn't Spain in Europe?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:26 AM
Susan

To previous poster, yes, Spain is in Europe, but it colonized a lot of Latin America!

I'm interested in this as well. We traditionally go to Mexico for 2 weeks in the winter - often we've had a week at a beach and a week in the interior. So far, we still have places to see in Mexico, but I can see where we'll want to explore further at some point.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Chris

re: Brazil:
there's a colonial town called Ouro Preto ('Black Gold') in Brazil which is designated a National Treasure..it was featured in the film ' Moon Over Parador'.altho I have never been it's on my list..maybe you can add it to yours..

=)

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Mynor

For a very nice colonial city try Antigua Guatemala. This city was the Capital of Guatemala before it was destroyed by an earthquake. This city is unique and it does worth the effort to visit this beautifull city. It has some museums, beautifull churches, very pretty colonial houses and hotels. Good luck!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 02:49 AM
rquirk

Hope you're not a US citizen as your FBI will be down on me like a ton of bricks.

I would recommend Cuba. See the cities Havana and Trinidad. But then I guess you will have to go via Mexico having booked your flight from Mexico to Havana ? Combine Mexico with Cuba ? You can get the best of the old and the new insuch countries.

Colonial Quito is nice. Some place like Cartagena in Colombia is pleasant too. Oh, dear Colombia. Isn't that bad for americans too ?

You mention that you want to go somewhere different and then say you want to stay in an old town. This is easy enough to do; but what is the different thing you want to do ( watersport ? sea-angling ? Ski-ing ? Treking ? )

My own personal opinion.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:15 AM
megan

try taxco in Mexico. very very old and 100's of silver shops. I am set with gifts for years. beautiful silver necklaces under $10

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Daniel

Try San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas. A small colonial town up in the mountains in Chiapas, relatively isolated, with a boheme atmosphere and nostalgic reminiscences of the old Mayan --the indian markets in San Cristobal are unique, and the near-by villages still manage to preserve centuries-old colonial Mayan traditions.

Or try Patzcuaro, Michoacan. You'll find the best pieces from what are perhaps the most skillful artisans in Mexico. The town is lovely, almost intact, and the Patzcuaro lake is very relaxing. Mexican folklore at its best.