Soliciting Input about Mexico City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tentatively, I am scheduled to visit Mexico City, Puebla, Cholula, Teotihuacan and Xochimilco during my 7 day visit.

I have traveled much of Europe (UK, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Ukraine) and Asia and had hope to use this upcoming Mexico trip to be exposed to drastically different culture, art, architecture, and history.

My question to well traveled Fodorites. Do any of the 5 Mexico cities/towns bear any resemblance to what I saw in Europe/Asia? Sometimes when I look at photos of MC, I see resemblance to Western Europe. Xochimilco reminds me of Venice....I already did a gondola ride in Venice. I want to experience something different.

If there are Mexico cities/towns that will show me a different side of civilization (and within 2 days of public commute to MC), please let me know
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 04:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Personally, I found the culture of Mexico, even on first exposure in Mexico City, to be mind-wrenching. Yes, some of the architecture will remind you of Europe. Some of the pre-Columbian art may suggest an Asian influence, but for the most part I found myself grasping for familiar antecedents and came up empty.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 04:30 AM

Mexico to me resembles colonial Spain the most on the surface

but there is a heavy clutural indigena influence

that pervades all aspects of their culture that makes it

totally different and culturally facinating...

Totally unique amazing for me...
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Have been to all those places recently. I think you'll find them quite different from places you saw in Europe and Asia. They are all fascinating. BUT if you're looking for something quite unique you might research the town of Cuetzalan. It is reachable by public bus - 4 hours from Puebla, or 6 from Mexico City. A lovely, unique misty town in the mountains. Very indigenous culture. Very interesting Sunday market. Many opportunities to see the voladores (the dancers who "fly" from the top of the pole). But we love both Mexico City and Puebla/Cholula. I'm glad we saw Xochimilco, but for a short trip, it could be skipped - especially if you've done the gondola thing. Not that it's the same, but it's a lot of tourists being paddled in a canal - music and food. .etc.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM

I think you need to take advantage of the pace of life when you visit Mexico City and Puebla/Cholula, which is where the real difference lie. Of course, take advantage of the museums in both cities which will underscore the vast difference from Europe and Asia in terms of civilization/art/culture.

Yes, there are cathedrals in MC and Puebla that will look, for a moment, like what you've seen in Italy and France. But go in side and see the way they pray to the various saints, their adoration of the Virgen of Guadalupe, the role of the church in Mexican (and Third World) life. That's where the difference.

Sit in the Zocalo in Puebla and watch who Mexican families live their lives; it ain't Paris. Go to the Ciudadela in Mexico City on a Saturday and watch people dance all afternoon.