snorkeling in MA

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snorkeling in MA

We are going to be staying at Costa Verde in March/06 and are planning our tours. My husband and I have snorkeled before however our two sons 10 and 13 have not. We were going to go on the Dolphin/Snorkel tour but everything I have read indicates that it is not great (too murky). The other option we were considering was the horseback riding tour (my kids have never be on horses). Any comments on the snorkeling? The other question was regarding the Rain Maker hanging bridges. Where are they located from Costa Verde and can a person just go there by taxi or do you have to book a tour?
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:19 PM

We did that tour in MA and while the snorkeling was mediocre, my inexperienced children enjoyed it.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 03:54 AM

I didn't think the snorkeling was great either, but I thought it was nice to be on the water. We also did it in March and only briefly saw a few dolphins just touching the surface and swimming away. I would, personally do something rainforest-ish w/ the kids.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Biesanz Beach cove near MA on the side road to the right down from La Mariposa Hotel is a nice smaller good swimming beach cove where snorkeling equipment was offered for rent when we visited last Feb. The beach is accessed via an easy 5 min walk on a trail from the road. An attendant on the road was asking for $5 for his service. When I said FIVE BUCKS! he dropped the price to $2 and said it was late in the day. A uniformed park attendant was at the beach, I think for security reasons. I didn't snorkel but it might suffice for the kids at a cheap price at a sweet beach.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Hi Earthtraveller....just curious, did the "attendant" on the road mention what it was he was supplying for the five bucks. Are you aware if this path is private property????
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Hi Bob,
I think he said he was there as a parking/security attendant or I assumed that. A number of cars were parked along the road there. The path appeared to be public access to the beach. There was a trash container near the road and trail that looked like it was for public use. The beach was set up for visitors as drinks were offered and a crude restroom was there if I remember correctly. Kayaks were offered for rent as well as a floating tube ride tour as well as the snorkeling equipment.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 04:11 PM

The beach and land leading down to it are owned by an American ex-pat ( Mr. Biesanz , a wood sculpter living in Escazu ) . He owns the 2 little huts on each corner of the beach as well . The farmer helps to take care of things , and the odd local sets up shop with snorkeling gear etc, and another guy will watch your stuff for a small amount . They might be there , or maybe not .... The same for the snack bar , it could be open , but maybe not ..... This is a great little beach , my fave place !!! I have never noticed a restroom , unless it`s recent . ( beaches are public , but land leading to beaches can be private , but this is not a problem here )
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Hey Faithie...thanks for the update...was really looking forward to spending some time at this location...in just 78 sleeps...not that I'm counting or anything....
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:46 AM

We are staying at Si Como No with our two boys, ages 5 and 8 next week. Is there enought decent (by kids standards) snorkelling around MA to warrant lugging the gear down there with us? Masks flippers etc for the four of us takes up a lot of space but if it is "worth it" in terms of the snorkelling then it is not a big deal. Any advice appreciated!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:05 AM

I'd save your luggage space if you are only thinking of using the equipment in MA. Take a tour or rent what you need.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:29 AM

thanks - that was what I was hoping to hear!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Whatever is the most comfortable to you. Personally I always pack my mask and snorkle, but never my fins. The fins just take up way too much space. But I prefer my mask that fits and my snorkle that is mine and not one that the masses have used. Just my preference.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:29 AM

We packed the mask and snorkel .... The kids had a blast in the pool with them , as well as at the beach .