Help -- Which beach in Cozumel??

Aug 30th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Help -- Which beach in Cozumel??

My request for help finding a beach in Cozumel has fallen on deaf ears. Can anyone advise which beach I can cab to instead of buying a cruise excursion? I need a nice beach for the girls and a good snorkeling beach for the boys.

Thanks!!
Aug 30th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Chankanaab has been our favorite. The snorkeling is off somewhat slippery rocks but the reef is only a few feet out. There is one area with a small sloping beach for younger children.There's also a "swim with dolphin" area. Ny girls didn't do this, but we were there later in the day and he summoned them down to the water and let them play with the dolphins! It had some hurricane damage, but I've heard it's been fully restored since June. There's an entrance fee, but it's worth it, IMO.
http://www.cozumelparks.com.mx/eng/
Aug 31st, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks LLindC!

It looks very nice.

I have also seen posting about Paradise beach as well....and another about San Francisco beach. Do you know anything about these two locations? How do they compare? Have you gotten any impressions from other travelers while you were on Cozumel about their views.

FYI, we visited Xel Ha a few years ago and the kids did the dolphins then. It was quite an experience for them. If they get the chance again have them do the swim. My son still talks about how amazed he was that two dolphins could balance his body while swimming.
Sep 5th, 2006, 02:45 PM

We also prefer Chankanaab. Nice atmosphere and good snorkeling along with nature trails. Here is a site for coupon to park - www.cozumelinsider.com
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM

How old are your children? One time, I took mine to XCaret. They absolutely loved it. A little pricey, but it was a blast.

http://www.xcaret.com/
Sep 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM

I like Paradise beach and head straight there whenever in Cozumel. You can rent a chair, get something fresh to eat, enjoy the water. Clean bathrooms are also available.
Sep 6th, 2006, 10:39 AM

How did it fare in the hurricane? We'll be there in Feb....
Sep 19th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

I just read on another thread that the beaches in Cozumel suffered damage to the reefs that makes snorkeling from the beach quite poor.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge. I am especially interested in Paradise beach or Chankanaab beach mentioned in the above posts.

Thanks!!
Sep 20th, 2006, 05:27 PM

We were there so many years ago, but I do have one thing. At Chankanaab you entered the water at one end, then drifted to the other end. Didn't have to work much. Wonder if it is still that way?
Sep 21st, 2006, 08:03 AM

There is a small beach area which is very shallow near the dolphin pen. That's where children play. The rest of the beach has access to the water and reef from steep steps on rocks. They are really slippery, too!