Search

SJO Custom Lines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SJO Custom Lines

I'm heading to Tamarindo in a couple of weeks and flying into SJO. I am hoping to catch a flight on Sansa about an hour and 50 mins after my arrival, but curious about the Custom lines at SJO and getting over to the domestic terminal in time to catch the flight. It's the last flight of the day and really want to get to the beach asap...any info or suggestions would be great.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:32 PM

I think it varies quite a bit; we waited in the line for over 2 hours on our last trip; the line was winding all through the airport, past the food courts, shops, etc. Other days you can breeze through.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:13 PM

Could be 10 minutes, could be an hour, no way to predict it. Btw, just walk to Sansa; by the time you catch a taxi & drive over there, you'd be there, lol.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:22 AM

I agree - abxolutely no way to predict. Since you used the first person I assume it's just you, but last summer we saw a line just for families (which a lot of people didn't notice).
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:57 PM

Our airport is full of surprises, most of them nasty. You cant predict anything.

My best advise is that you travel with carry on only, that should save the luggage line and you could take the fast lane thru customs: most agents will wave you thru if they see that you have only carry-on, specially if it does not look like you packed a house in it.

SANSA is literally next door to the international airport and dont think of a US airport where you take a train to go next door. It will take you 5 minutes to walk to SANSA.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:31 AM

A couple of questions: Will you be traveling w/children? If so, the familyline moves really fast. Have you already booked you flight? Liberia airport is only an hour to an hour and a half from Tamarindo, so that may also be an option.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM

Yes, when we were waiting in the long line, they kept pulling people with children out to go to a much shorter line - lucky ducks. Also, anyone Costa Rican got pulled out. Yes, we were jealous.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM

Every country has a designated passport line for its own citizens. Costa Rica is no different in that regard.

If you are traveling with minors, you are supposed to use the designated family line. It's not just a nice convenience for families. They are doing added scrutiny on anyone traveling with children, making sure that everything and everyone in the group seems to match up.

Back to the original question: There is no good answer. I've breezed through in a few minutes and I've had it take well over an hour just for passport control. I always plan on the worst-case scenario and hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

If you can get by with carry-on luggage only, so much the better, because waiting for bags at the carousels downstairs is another of those "Who knows how long it can take?" matters.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM

We'll be traveling with my 17 yr old daughter. Is she considered a minor in CR?
Thanks,
Tammy
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:47 PM

Under 18 is a minor in Costa Rica so you should be shunted to the special line. Same thing applies when you leave. Before you go through security, you go through passport inspection. There's a separate line for anyone traveling with minors. You are required to use that line.