Jamaica - How long are airport checks?

May 2nd, 2002, 01:22 PM
Anon

Jamaica - How long are airport checks?

When you arrive at Montego Bay, how long is the customs check, etc. at the airport?

When you are leaving, how long is it?

May 2nd, 2002, 01:28 PM
alex

We walked right through arriving and leaving - tops 5 minutes. The only problem we had was finding our transfer - people kept telling us to wait at desks and then we would find out we were at the wrong desk. One of the many reasons we wish we had stayed at the Ritz - their own litle reception are at the airport where you can wait comfortably for your transfer. I think they gave them welcome beverages too.

May 2nd, 2002, 04:38 PM
Penney

Customs wait was only about 10 minutes but helps to make a mad dash off the plane to get in line and/or try to get seats in the front so you are first off!

When leaving, lines for checkin a few weeks ago was long for security reasons. If flying Air Jamaica, try to check-in at the resorts as we did and this saved so much time.

May 15th, 2002, 07:41 AM
dave

Be prepared to have your luggage searched on the return flight. We got to the airport about 3 hours early and EVERYONE's luggage was being hand searched. It didn't take us long, but it is something you should be aware of.

May 19th, 2002, 02:34 PM
debra

been there 3 times, every time it was a disaster! long lines, etc...dont stop at the rest room, try to beat the crowds

May 19th, 2002, 06:54 PM
L101

Went through Montego Bay customs last week. The experience was not bad at all. Biggest line was after you pick-up your checked luggage and the were two lines to go through. We weren't in line more than 15-20 min. Bags were being checked at random.

May 19th, 2002, 09:15 PM
xxx

15-20 minutes on Arrival.
2 hours departure.

May 20th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Lorraine

Arriving in Jamaica- customs/luggage took about 10 mins. We stayed at the Ritz and they were waiting to pick us up.
Leaving Jamaica- the airport was a NIGHTMARE. Its one of the reasons I would never return. Long lines, unhelpful rude people,

May 20th, 2002, 09:20 PM
L101

I am sorry you had that departure experience. Ours was quite the opposite. There was a bit of a line at the Air Jamaica counter, but it was handled well. We got to our gate (#5, as I recall) which was downstairs by the duty free shops. We shopped a little bit while people were queing up for security. When the doors opened to board the plane, we got in line, showed our papers and walked out to the plane. Nobody gave or showed any attitude the whole time, not even the passengers picked for the thorough check. Maybe you were just there a bad day for the personel. JMO, but it seems silly that you would allow a long line and bad attitude of a couple of people to call an entire vacation experience bad and swear to not return. From the description you gave, I have had worse experiences at many airports in the U.S.. In fact, when we arrived in Atlanta, we both looked at each other and remarked at the tension and stress you could feel in the air as opposed to Jamaica.....welcome back to the real world it was.

But, if you really did not enjoy Jamaica, please do not return. We, on the other hand, had a completely fabulous trip to Jamaica and did not encounter the first person with any kind of attitude, except that of being friendly, considerate and helpful; which was different than my experience in the Virgin Islands.

Respect
L101

Jun 4th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Marie

I agree with most others. I was there a few days ago. Coming into Jamaica not bad about 20 minutes. (make the dash off the plane)Returning to the U.S. hand searching luggage, people not too friendly, seemed like more flight delays going out and I heard several cancelled flights over intercom.