Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Shuttle from Dominical to SJO and timing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 12:40 flight out of SJO and was planning to take a shuttle to the airport leaving Dominical at 6:30am and arriving at SJO at 11:00 am.

Are there any shared shuttles that leave earlier than 6:30am that you know of and if I do go ahead with this plan is it cutting it too close for my flight. I know I can take a private shuttle but I don't want to spend that much.

I am not familiar with San Jose airport and would welcome opinions and experiences. Is it a large complicated airport or is it more like Liberia and pretty quick to get through. I will probably just have carry on luggage.

Thanks!!
Old May 31st, 2019, 09:18 AM

They recommend that you get to the airport three hours before your flight, so that's what we always do. It's usually not necessary, but the lines can get long. The SJO airport is very large and busy. You could check the websites for Interbus and Grayline and see if they offer what you're looking for. Those are the two more popular shuttles.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 11:43 AM

The only thing I can say about SJO is that it's totally unpredictable. I have breezed through check-in and security in 15 minutes, and I have also arrived to find lines stretching out the door. I've never been able to tie those conditions to time of day, day of week, or season of year. Keep this in mind: For a flight to the US, you must be checked before the one-hour mark. That means boarding pass in hand. That doesn't mean standing in line at the check-in counter. So getting there at 11:00 gives you 40 minutes, not 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Like volcanogirl, I dutifully get to the airport three hours before my flight leaves. It usually turns out not to be necessary, but on occasion, I needed the time,