Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

October to San Miguel Allende and thermal springs nearby.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish to confirm three nights in Mexico City is best way and then bus to San Miguel. Don't know how long bus takes. Once in San Miguel, I understand there are natural hot springs nearby for healing waters. Any ideas on that? Then, are there hotels near these springs and can one receive quality massages at facilities? Finally, the option of flying into Leon I understand is a consideration for SMA. Suggestions, please. Oh yes, is October a good time to go regarding weather, activities etc.?
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 01:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
From CDMX Norte station to San Miguel by bus is about 4 hours +/- depending on traffic. There are 2 lines, Primera Plus and ETN, the former being a bit quicker as ETN stops briefly in Queretaro. But ETN has more departures.
Leon/BJX is an option too and you could first spend time in Guanajuato. But a shared shuttle from the airport to San Miguel is about $24 US p/p. QRO (Queretaro) is another airport option nearby.
There are a number of hot springs on the road to Dolores. La Gruta, Escondido Place, Xote, Mayan Baths, and another whose name escapes me. Xote is more of a water park place. La Gruta and Escondido Place are the more popular. Escondido's website advertises massage, and though I've been there, I've never used their massage services. I do not believe La Gruta offers massage, though I've been there too. The Mayan Baths are by far the most luxurious, offer a buffet dinner, drinks in the pool at sunset. Reservations required. Their website was hacked so I don't think it's up any more. There are recent reviews on TA, however.
There are 2 hotels near the spas that offer massages according to their websites, Nirvana and Parador Del Cortijo. Nirvana would be more upscale. I'd check in advance with either to ensure a masseuse is available or to make an appointment. Escondido says they have a hotel, tho I've not seen it. I've been to Nirvana for dinner; it's nice.
While in the Atotonilco area (where the hot springs are) be sure to visit the Sanctuary of Atotonilco if youre interested in colonial era religious art and architecture. It's known as the Sistene Chapel of Mexico.
Also in Atotonilco is Mama Mia's Campestre, a lovely restaurant with garden or indoor seating. Pizza, pasta, steaks, and an on-site microbrewery.
October is a good month. Things will be lush and green, highs in the 70's, and the rains will be tapering off although the rainy season is pleasant anyway.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 03:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The Mayan baths page I guess is working again. $2100 mxn for hot springs, dinner, drinks & massage. It seems they have open saturdays where you don't need a group or event res and can get a massage.
https://www.mayanbaths.com/

Last edited by baldone; Jun 5th, 2019 at 03:22 PM.