Search

Palm Desert / Springs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palm Desert / Springs

Helllllloooo Fodorites!

I am reading through all the posts on Palm Desert and Springs! I will be staying in Palm Desert the second week of October at the Marriott Shadow Ridge.

Can anyone tell me how the weather is in October? 8-)
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM

In October: Hot but bearable. In other words, nice.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM

We go in October regularly -- generally high 80s to mid 90s during the day. No rain.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Cannot wait! We do an annual "cousins trip" and San Fran was booked for my time share exchange.

Palm Desert looks great! And the resort looks awesome
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 07:34 AM

I have to tell you, October is one of my favorite months here. More specifically, the period from October 15 - November 15. The heat usually breaks like magic sometime between the 1st and the 15th. The days are typically sunny and very warm with shorts and the nights are cool and so pleasant in short sleeves, sometimes a sweater.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

PSL
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

PSL - thank you! Anything you would recommend for us? Cannot wait!
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 11:48 PM

April and October are our favorite times in the desert. Just love the weather at those times of years. Palm Desert is a nice spot to be.

Be sure to go on the Tram in PS
Living Desert
Outlets in Cabazon
Follies
VillageFest on Thursday Nights

Let me know if you need any restaurant suggestions, prices and food likes.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM

Hot air balloon rides are a lot of fun, as well as maybe one of the jeep tours.

If you like to hike, try the Indian Canyons in Palm Springs. Murray Canyon is one of my favorites. Top of the Tram also has some good hikes that are not too strenuous. Weather will be much crisper up there, 30 - 40 degrees cooler than the desert floor. I like to go to a local Trader Joe's and get a nice picnic lunch of dried fruit, crusty bread, cheese, dry salami, chocolate etc and take it hiking. Don't forget to take plenty of water too.

The valley is suffering the same economic doldrums as everywhere else, so if there is any bright side at all, I guess it would be the bargains to be had. Lots of restaurants, including some of the higher end places, are running phenomenal specials. I imagine that after summer (which usually slower for restaurants anyway) it will really be a buyer's market. If you have particular food interests, let me know and I can make some suggestions. There are other posters here that usually offer very good information as well about the area.

The key is relaxation here...
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM

We will be staying at the same place in about a year, so hope you do a report.

Yes, any restaurant info is welcome.

Did I read there are outlet shops?
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM

Outlet Mall in Cabazon, about 30 to 45 minutes from the resort, toward LA. There's also a weekend swap meet at the College of the Desert, just down Monterey. Be sure to buy some fresh dates.

I really like Living Desert, you can also hike inside the reserve. If it isn't too hot, the Coachella Fringe Toe Lizard reserve has some nice walks, although you can't go onto the dunes where the lizards are.

There are also a lot of consignment shops in PD, Angel View is a good one. And the Marshall's in PD (if it's still there?) used to carry some high end golf and resort wear.

A lot of places have good deals on "Sunset Dining" , if you like fish Pacific in the Desert on El Paseo has all sorts of special menus. It's related to the one in San Diego. I also like Omri Go Med on 111 for lunch especially. Much nicer inside than it looks.

Avoid Tommy Bahamas as far as food, but it's fun for drinks and listening to the music.

If you want to prepare some of your own meals, in addition to Trader Joe's, there's a Fresh & Easy on Hwy111 (similar to TJs), a Bristol Farms market not far from the timeshare on Monterey and Country Club, and an Albertsons supermarket across the street from BF. If you have a Costco card you'll pass one as you exit the freeway on Monterey. The units there have outdoor bbq grills (gas I think) and either microwaves in the small side, or full kitchens on the large side. They only give you a "welcome pack" on arrival so if you're there for more than a few days you'll want to go to the grocery store.

I love October, the only downside is that is when there is a lot of lawnmowing and reseeding activity on the golf courses. If you have any allergies you might want to stock up on antihistamines. Plus playing golf gets restricted when the courses close.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:12 AM

Sounds like there's lots to do there. Several years ago we went to a great Mexican restaurant at LaQuinta. Wonder if it's still there.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM

We had a very nice lunch at Tommy Bahama's Tropical Cafe yesterday. We stayed at the Westin Mission Hills under the Timeshare for $69/night. We loved dinner at the BluEmber @ Ranchos Las Palmas and Wally's Desert Turtle last night for dinner. We really enjoyed our time at the spa at the Esmeralda Resort and shopping on El Paseo in Palm Desert. Lots of sunning, tanning and relax, this was our first visit to the desert and I loved it! ***kim***
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM

October is one of the best times, imo, in Palm Desert..
Shadowridge was decent..we stayed in a 2 bedroom villa for a golf tournament and we enjoyed it..
I prefer La Quinta, Le Parker Meridien or Esmeralda..
Rancho Las Palmas has been re-done and love that KSL resorts has taken over the property.

We will be there for the long Memorial Day..staying at a resort with a 2 bedroom villa with a private pool..yippee!
Also, a private chef and butler..wish I could live like this all the time..
Can't wait!
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:16 AM

We were very impressed with the Ranchos Las Palmas property, everything was very clean and the resort has a quaint charm to it. The KSL also has the Hotel Del which is a favorite property of ours, we are staying there for the second time the end of the year. Both BluEmber and Wally's Desert Turtle were offering Fixed Prixe menus, we did the one at BluEmber which was 3 courses for $35/pp which was a great deal, it included dessert. This was one of my favorite meals ever, very memorable! ***kim***
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM

We have a destination wedding to attend in Oct. over the Columbus Day weekend It's at the Parker Meridien in PS. Haven't stayed there before, so looking forward to the opportunity to enjoy the resort and festivities.

We're going next month to La Quinta. It's one of our all time favorite resorts. Love the landscaping and all the swimming pools. The Mexican Restaurant is El Adobe on the grounds of LQ. We were there spring break. Live music around the outdoor firepit, great Margaritas.