Should we stay over in San Jose?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Christina

Should we stay over in San Jose?

We are arriving in San Jose from the States at 8:30 am. Our plan is to stay in San Jose and travel to Manuel Antonio the next day. Would you recommend this, stop somewhere along the way, or go all the way through to MA?

Also, does anyone know anything about Casa Las Brisas aka Viva Las Brisas.

Thanks. Great forum!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Lars Larsen

San Jose is worth the time for a visit, before or after doing other things. There is a great Butterfly Farm, and or the coffee plantation tour is well done. (Britta) Depending on budget I like the Marriott Airport on Firestone Blvd for a great place to stay. Also while in MA (Quepos the city) check out the Mariposa Hotel on the hill. Enjoy, Lars Larsen

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Christina

Thanks Lars!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Monica

Christina: Check out my trip report at http://www.markandmonica.com/Travel/costa_rica.htm for some ideas. We went to San Jose (actually Alajuela), Manuel Antonio and Tambor.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Ally

I like Alajuela a lot more than San Jose proper. If you have a morning flight return from San Jose on your last day, you'll have to spend your last night in the area, so, since your flight arrives early am your first day, I'd heard straight for MA and see San Jose or Alajuela on your last full day.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:42 PM
Mary

Christina,
We think San Jose is a must.
We stayed at Hotel Don Carlos.
It was nice and reasonable just make sure you get the room you want. We wish we would have made it our traveling base. M.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 08:27 AM
jack

I'll present an opposing view. Staying in San Jose (or even better, in Alajuela) is good for the strategic location of things to do in area just outside the city. IMHO, you want to get in & out of the city a.s.a.p. San Jose proper is one of Central America's more bland & non-descript cities. If you're arriving in SJ at 8:30 am, then I take it you're coming a good distance (Europe? Australia?) and will be jet-lagged. So that first day you'll be feeling out of it. Might as well continue onward and complete travel to MA on that first day.