Liberia or San Jose Airport?

Old May 5th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liberia or San Jose Airport?

Would it be best to fly in to Liberia or San Jose airport for vacation to Costa Rica? Plan on going to Monteverde, Arenal, Pacific beach and Manuel Antonio.
Old May 5th, 2003, 02:39 PM

Hi,

I would fly into San Jose (personal opinion). Then you could go to Arenal, Monteverde, drive down the coast, Manuel Antonio, and then back to San Jose for your flight back.

Send me an email if you have any more questions,

Enrique
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:49 AM
JBX

I've only flown to CR via San Jose and so, don't know the logistics of dealing with Liberia. The downside of coming in/out of SJ is that you often have to spend a first night/last night in or around San Jose. Another alternative you might look into is flying "open jaws" (if that's available). I know that Delta Airlines has a few flights per week to/from Liberia, as well as their once a day flight out of Atlanta to/from San Jose. It may be worthwhile to fly into Liberia and out from San Jose or vice versa.
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:16 AM

Visiting CR for the first time this summer, July/Aug and traveling from Va Beach/Norfolk VA area. My wife and I had planned on flying into San Jose, but found flights into Liberia for $120 less per person and jumped on it. We are also planning on spending the last few days in Hermosa area, which is not far from the Airport and should make it much easier to depart. I say it all depends on where you plan on going. For us, location and price was Liberia. Good luck.
Old May 6th, 2003, 02:34 PM

Flying in and out of Liberia was a total breeze; haven't experienced San Jose, but if you're renting a car it can be difficult to find your way out of San Jose. We were picked up by car rental at Liberia airport, taken to their office 5 minutes away, and then on the road to Arenal (a three-hour drive, very bumpy at the end!). Depending on arrival time, you can get there the same day. We spent two weeks in CR: Arenal, MOnteverde, Manuel Antonio and Tamarindo. MA to Tamarindo was the longest drive (about 6 hours); but our departure day was a breeze (barely an hour back to the airport car rental, then on our way).
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:49 PM

I agree with Sandra re: flying in and out of Liberia. I've done both and had to run to both airports on a Sunday from Tamarindo and Manuel Antonio - its a breeze from Tamarindo to Lib. I got there in Feb. with 1/2 hour to spare and was fine - checked in in 5 minutes. Each time in SJ, and on Easter Sunday this last trip ( was Semana Santo and everyone in the country was on vacation and enroute back to SJ)I have tangled with traffic headed into the city - can be a nitemare especially if there is an accident. The beaches in Tamarindo are great and so are Manuel Antonios - we have a place in Playa Longosto and the beach across the esturary is the cleanest and best shelling beach around. It is where the turtles nest.
Marilynn