Search

Sheraton Rio Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheraton Rio Help

I've read so many conflicting reports about the Sheraton (near ipanema)it's driving me crazy. Can anyone tell me what they think about the place? Does the beach really smell from the flavella? Is there really mold in the bathrooms? etc. TIA
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:57 AM

That's funny, does the beach really smell from the favella?. The beach is right in front of the hotel, the favella is way behind the hotel on a cliff, you don't even know that it is there, where do people get these things from.

It's possible that the Sheraton has been in need of renovation but I do remember reading that it was underway.

It's a good hotel if you want to have an olympic size type pool with a resort feel which you won't get in Rio in other hotels except for the Intercontinental. Most hotels in Rio are city type high rise with a small pool on the roof and in front of one of the major beach areas, The Sheraton is somewaht removed and isolated from this.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

op: I believe they meant it was the sewage runoff from the favela.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM

Yes most of Rio's beaches suffer from sewage problems especially after a big rain where the surk digs up sewage and brings it to shore. In Rio on a whole don't expect to see pristine beaches, beautiful vistas? Yes, but clean? No. That's just the way it is whether it's in front of the Sheraton or Caesar Park.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:57 PM

In 2001 it was in need of renovation. But do not know if it was done. If not it really would not be desirable. the comment about it being a resort-type is correct. If you want a resort the Intercontinental was a bit higher level but current condition I cannot say. We enjoyed the Orthon Palace in 2003 but current condition, I cannot comment.