Search

Seeking CR Resort

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking CR Resort

My wife and I are planning our first trip to CR and are seeking an all inclusive resort on the Pacific Coast. We've heard the Barcelo resort in Playa Tambor is very nice. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:25 PM

If ever a resort deserved to be boycotted, it is the Bárcelo resort at Playa Tambor. When they built this monstrosity, the totally trashed the beach, rivers and surrounding jungle, destroying natural habitat in violation of Costa Rica's environmental laws and then paid off government officials to keep their fines as low as possible - all the while "improving" on mother nature. All their profits leave Costa Rica and go to Spain except for the paltry salaries they pay their exploited workers.

Bárcelo translates as "rapist" as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:38 PM

I stayed at the Barcelo Playa Tambor with my family several years ago, and we really enjoyed it. We are going back there again this November with 3 other families. The setting is right in the jungle, and there is a nature reserve right beside the resort with howler monkeys and we saw beautiful scarlet macaws. The beach was very nice and clean and we enjoyed boogie boarding, kayaking, and walking along the beach to the towns nearby. They also have horses available and we went on a couple of horseback rides. The food and service were excellent. It is great value. I have more info on the resort posted at this website: www.geocities.com/barceloplayatambor

The only negative comment I would have about this resort is that on weekends it got very busy with locals. But midweek it was quiet. From the resort we took the local bus (which stops right in front) to the town of Montezuma which took about 50 minutes. From there we hiked to the waterfall and swam. We were the only ones there. We spent some time on the beautiful beach and saw a whitefaced monkey. Worth the bus ride, but we were glad we were staying at the Barcelo Playa Tambor instead of in Montezuma which is very much a "hippy" town and lots of drugs.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 03:31 AM

PMman - what are you looking to do on your vacation? There are many beautiful places to stay along the Pacific coast, must it be an AI? Personally I wouldn't patronise a place like Barcelo after reading the damage they've done & the corrupt way they do business.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 06:21 AM

We stayed at the Barcelo Tambor in March. I have to say we saw more nature there than we did in the very touristy, over crowded Manual Antonio. There was a troop of Howler monkeys that passed through each morning, racoons, coati, alligators, many, many birds. The people were very friendly, nice accomadations, good food. The jungle walk they put in next door to make up for disturbing the land was great each morning. Maybe they do not treat their help as we would but more than likely these people would not have jobs if it were not for the resort. It was very peaceful there and I was sceptical and felt guilty going because of everything that I had read but out of about 5 places we have now visited in Costa Rica this resort had the most diversity for nature and birds! you are alos very close to Curu Wildlife Refuge for day trips and also Montezuma - you can also take a longer day trip by taking the ferry and going to Carrerra or Manual Antonio. I really enjoyed it
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:41 PM

I'm glad to hear that you also enjoyed the Barcelo Playa Tambor Resort. The people that put it down are those that have never been there. Everyone I know that has stayed at this resort has really enjoyed it. It is an affordable way for families to enjoy a safe, relaxing vacation!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:11 PM

A frind of our who is a tica also pointed out this "resort" to us, and explained how they destroyed this beuftifull area that used to belong to the costa rican people. Thank God a lot of this exploitation does not happen as much anymore as the Costa Rican people don't let it happen. Supporting resorts like this hurts the country.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:08 AM

I am not sure exactly what they did but I know the country was quite upset about it but as far as what is going on now they are very in touch with the surroundings and as i said above there was more wildlife and birds in this particular area than anywhere else we have stayed so far.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Want to know WHY there is so much wildlife so near this monstrosity of a resort? It is because they feed the wildlife, against all rules, thus encouraging the animals to become dependent on humans and to hang around the resort.

This corporation is just a bad world citizen, as are those who encourage them by making excuses for their obnoxious behavior. Hey, screw the world and its environment, right? All that matters is that we all have a good time exploiting the natives and nature.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM

Couldn't agree more Barbarian. Also have read that the plentiful bird population is due to having their wings clipped. I don't know what year it was published but my Rough Guide has a scathing review of this place, rightfully.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:00 PM

If you are intent on an AI experience, check out Paradisus Playa Conchal. Can't do any better than that. . .unless you are a fan of Four Seasons up on the Papagayo Peninsula. The Paradisus is in an excellent area with close proximity to Playa Flamingo (nice beach) and Tamarindo (always fun to visit and shop). Playa Conchal is one of the prettiest beaches in CR.

Also in that area is Barcelo Langosta, just adjacent to Tamarindo. Haven't stayed there.

We have stayed at Barcelo Tambor and have felt guilty about it ever since! There is not a travel book one that will recommend them due to their methods of building 10 years ago (or however long it was!). But, we liked it there at the time, and especially liked the entire area of the southern Nicoya Peninsula. BUT, this area isn't a piece of cake to get to.

Up north in the Papagayo area, you have the Four Seasons, Allegro Papagayo (have stayed there and loved it), and the new Fiesta Premier. All are AI. The drawback to this area is that there really isn't anything close by in the way of towns if you want to eat somewhere off property, etc. The entire area is very near to the Liberia airport, however, if you are flying into Liberia or would like to arrange that. Thirty minutes. The Four Seasons about 45 minutes. The Paradisus and Barcelo Langosta near Tamarindo are both a little over an hour away from Liberia.

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:02 PM

By the way, depending on your month of travel, during the rainy season you can definitely count on more rain near Tambor than up north at the other places.