scared to book my own trip...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have usually gone through a travel agent when arranging trips out of the U.S. But my agent seems to be dragging her heels. I logged onto locogringo and have a excellent price for a week at Akumal Beach Resort. I'm just a little afraid to confirm. Has anyone had problems? Good experience?
HELP!
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:20 AM

I have not stayed at this resort, but when we were in Akumal a few years back we met a couple who were staying there. They said it was nice, but very average. Nothing upscale or fancy about it. At the time, we were staying at the Bahai Principe Akumal and it was great!
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Have booked through locogringo twice in the past although we booked a condo not a hotel. Kay and Gary have a great operation - I wouldn't hesitiate to book again (or recommend that someone else book) through their website! Have fun - Akumal is wonderful!
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Funny... since I always books my own trips, I would be more scared using a travel agent! Don't know a thing about locogringo. I make my reservations directly to the hotel by phone, fax or email.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM

locogringo.com has a good reputation. In fact, they are probably a much better bet than your travel agent!!!
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Have stayed at the Akumal Beach Resort twice. It is a three star, so it is not absolute luxury, but very acceptable and the snorkeling is very good. Food good. Service good. Be sure to get an ocean view room. Standard rooms are not that great and the ocean view room with is well worth a few bucks more. You can walk to the little village. You can also walk around Half-Moon Bay to Yal Ku Lagoon, but is close to a mile. A taxi will cost you $5 from the village (and another $5 back). Entrance fee is $6 pp. Be sure and do this! It is beautiful and the snorkeling is the best I have seen. Fish all over the place. Suggest you go early. Opens at around 10 AM, I think. We went on a Sunday morning when it opened and we were just about the only ones there. Be sure to pick a nice sunny calm day. Leave the sunblock at the hotel. Not supposed to use it there.
Yes, I would go back to the ABR. Would love to go right now!

Viva la Riviera Maya!
Buena suerte,
Norm
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:22 PM

SweetD,

You don't need a travel agent. You can do everything on line. How are you getting to Akumal from the Airport (I assume you are going to Cancun airport--as opposed to Cozumel)? You could just hire one of the cabs there,but it will be expensive to Akumal. One good option is to just ignore the taxi ticket stands and go out of the airport hang a left and take the bus near the entrance to the airport (it is very nice--around $7 pp) to Playa del Carmen, just down the road about 45 min. From bus station at PdC just walk outside and get a cab to Akumal. Should be around $25 (+ a couple bucks tip). Ask price before you get in. If it is much more than $25, look around for another taxi. Getting around the RM is really quite easy. Or check with the hotel about a transfer from the airport.

Norm
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Locogringo is very trustworthy. You can gain a wealth of info at their site.
ABR is supposed to be OUTSTANDING as a 3 star resort. It gets wonderful reviews. We are staying there for a portion of our trip this year. I booked it through Orbitz because they had the best price. Booking direct with the hotel was more expensive. First time I've used Orbitz and am a bit nervous. Usually book my own trips. Started doing so 25 yrs. ago when I found I could find better rates than travel agents quoted. Booking yourself also gives better cancellation policies. If you want to compare AI's in Mayan Riviera, check out Locogringo's accommodations page.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for you imput. I love this forum. I think I am going to book my trip. I don't mind that ABR is only 3 stars. Just relaxing is our plan.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:36 AM

when I went to Costa Rica I booked everything through Green Tropical Tours-
a local Costa Rican tour operator- they were great and without them I would not have seen and done 1/2 as much as I did
They relieved a lot of the anxiety
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:33 AM

I stayed at this at ABR and liked it. Nice rooms, most of them are oceanview, clean, good food. Good snorkeling right off shore. I liked that it's close to Tulum, Yalku lagoon, and Actun Chen cave. We also arranged a cab to take us to Coba, wait for us and bring us back. There are lots of cenotes in the area, you can ask your cab driver about them.