Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Sarchi - does it mainly sell woodwork or everything?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Sarchi also sell pottery, ceramics, woven goods, leather goods, painted bowls/plates, hammocks,etc...or only oxcarts and woodwork?

I'm trying to figure out if I make a visit to Sarchi whether that will give me access to all the goodies I want to buy, or whether I still need to make a trip to the San jose markets?

Anyone know?

Thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM

You can buy all that you mentioned in Sarachi BUT not all in the nice quaint old part of town.......where the main highway goes through.

Some of the shopping is done in the so called more modern area of Sarachi.

I do not know what your trip schedule is but I would wait to do Sarchi "on your way back" so as to avoid having gifts and crafts with you for the remainder of your trip....

as it seem that

you are going to do a fair amount of shopping and buying.

Take Care and have a nice trip

Percy

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it is planned for near the end of my trip.

Can you tell me the directions I should be taking to get to the "more modern" area of Sarchi to do this kind of shopping?

Is this department store type of shopping? Because I would still like the outdoor market feel.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:21 AM

I would say this.

First shop in all those nice little places in the quaint older Sarchi.

If after this you still want to go to the "newer part of town " just ask anyone for the direction the short drive to the more modern place.
It is not far away.
As Sarchi is not a big place.

Try to see the ox carts being painted ..this is quite an experience

Make sure you take a picture of yourself in front of the nice Church done in a light pastel green color.

Percy
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 06:00 PM

We'll be flying from Drake Bay on Christmas Eve to San Jose. How far is Sarchi from the Nature Air airport? Also if you know what would be interesting to see on Christmas Eve in san Jose or nearby Iwould love some ideas.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 06:18 AM

i do not know if we went to the wrong places in Sarchi but i was very disappointed. If however you find yourself up in Guanacaste there is a store called "Souvenir World" where they could have everything you want at great prices - we bought our rocker there and tons of other stuff. We almost did not go in because of the name but were really glad we did the people were absolutely wonderful. We drove people from our resort and went back 3 or 4 times.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 09:32 AM

The Fabrica Chavierri is definitely worth a visit in Sarchi. It is filled with hundreds and all sizes of those gorgeous hand painted oxcarts. Behind the business you can watch the artisans do their painting. It's a good place to make a purchase. Lots of other things for sale there as well. My daughter bought a really pretty large padded cloth bag. She used it for everything from A to Z. Next door is a mall of lots and lots of shops. This is where we bought our high backed rocker. They were about $30 more expensive at other places around the country.

Of course, in the last few weeks they have completed the building of the "largest oxcart in the world". It's a huge thing and would be interesting to see, I expect. Sarchi may not be for everyone, but I liked it the minute we drove across the bridges on the way into town and saw the handpainted designs on them! Guess I'm a sucker! Even better than Sarchi, though, I love the cool, pine tree atmosphere of Zarcero with its pretty church and topiary gardens. One of our favorite cities in the entire country. One of these days we're gonna stay at that little hotel in town across from the church!
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 09:35 AM

BTW, for those who like this sort of thing (and I do. . ), in that mall in Sarchi, there are a couple of shops with the rosewood bowls and vases. They are just lovely. The ones with the carved intricate designs are expensive, but would be a very nice addition to any room, any house!
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the info. We are flying back to San Jose on Nature Air from the Osa at 3pm. How far is Sarchi from there and is there enought time to get there. Also this is Christmas eve. would stores be open on that Sun night?
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 10:55 AM

From Pavas and the NatureAir terminal, I believe Sarchi would take 1.5 hour at best. Always depends, you understand! Probably not enough time to get there, shop leisurely (in a way that would make your trouble to get there worthwhile!), and then get to your hotel for the night?

As far as being open Christmas Eve, I would think probably so, but do not know for sure. I'll check a bit and try to get back. In the meantime, perhaps others will help you out with that info.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM

http://www.worldheadquarters.com/contact_us/index.html

Try this link: there is a place to e-mail them and you could probably find out what you are needing to know. . .
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 11:04 AM

http://www.worldheadquarters.com/cr/...ations/sarchi/

Sorry, gailching, I sent you the e-mail page, but not the article, which you would probably be interested in.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Saarchi is a tourist trap and I found the prices to be higher there than other places.
Anything that you will see in Saarchi can be bought at

http://www.simesacr.com/

for cheaper. They also ship to the USA. (I have nothing to do with the company besides being a customer).