Sao Paulo expert advisement, pls!

Sep 18th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Sao Paulo expert advisement, pls!

I am asking for kind advisement once more now that I have specifics. I arrive in Sao Paulo on a Sat am @ 10am in Jan & depart the following morning on a mid morning flight. Pls help me decide if I should stay at the airport with the plan that if my arriving flight is on time, going into the city to explore OR plan to book a hotel in the city to more experience the city. The concern being, if my incoming flight is late & with the knowledge that I will need to leave for the airport @7am the following morning, will I be spending the greater part of my time traveling between the city & the airport? What would you advise & what have your experiences been? Thx again, fodorites!
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:11 AM

I can't say there was a lot to 'experience' about the city. it's not charming, although the people are, and it has good food. no beautiful sights that I can recall, although the city center has some historical things. If you can book a tour guide to take you to Embu that might be interesting. why so short a stay? are you on your way to Rio or BA?
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thx for your kind reply! Ongoing flight to the falls the next morning. Also forgot to ask for airport hotel recommendations, pls, if that is the advisement. Thx again!
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:41 AM

sure thing! one caveat: I am not an expert! but those were my impressions. No hotels to reco near airport unfortunately. maybe try the hilton/marriott websites?

Embu:

http://www.embu.com.br/

Sep 18th, 2004, 07:39 AM

A hotel not far from São Paulo International airport:
http://www.panamby.com.br/
A hotel close to that airport:
http://www.marriottbrasil.com/SAOAP/
You will leave São Paulo on a sunday morning - so you will not have any trouble reaching the international airport from downtown São Paulo.
Instead of burying yourself near the airport, go for a hotel downtown and enjoy São Paulo. At least, you will not have any difficulty finding great restaurants. If you select a hotel near Avenida Paulista, you will be very close to a metro station. An opportunity to board the metro, proceed to (for exemple) República metro station, from which you may stroll and discover the old center of São Paulo - a leisury walk at daylight. If you don't want to venture yourself in downtown, just walk along Avenida Paulista. Go for the Museu de Arte São Paulo, a fine building, a very good art collection.
Sep 24th, 2004, 10:25 AM

there are several hotels close to the airport, but there is nothing else around the area. since you are arriving on a saturday and leaving on sunday, the traffic should not be horrible. therefore, while no expert, i would definitely say go into town and stay in the Paulista, or Gardens, area. I was there for only one night and totally enjoyed my day and night there. If price is not too big of a concern there are several hotels there that are worth seeing just from an architectural standpoint if nothing else. We stayed at the Renaissance hotel and it is one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed at. Close by is a place called Hotel Unique which is worth a trip to see and to see their roof top club. A close by restaurant, the Rubyiat, is one of the best places we have eaten at. there are wonderful Beverly Hills type stores in this area as well.
Sep 28th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Thx again, fodorites!