San Jose with Kids - one day

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Jose with Kids - one day

We are taking a Caravan tour of Costa Rica but arriving in one day early. Our kids are boys ages 6 and 10. I would like to do something relaxed on our free day - don't want to be out for more than four hours starting mid-morning.

Some people have suggested Irazu volcano but apparently the views cloud over by late morning. We will miss seeing the National Museum on our tour since it starts on a Monday so that is an option and close to our hotel (Holiday Inn Aurola in downtown San Jose).

Also considering lunching at a mirador - will there by nice views midday?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Btw, we are a party of six (us four plus my mother and brother) so that could limit our transportation options perhaps.

Thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 06:11 PM

How about La Paz Waterfall Gardens? Don't know if the Aurola has a tour desk or not (assuming they do), but this might be a fun thing for all of you to enjoy. The only problem is, most La Paz tours are coupled with the early a.m. Poas volcano tour. Not sure you can book it by itself. But perhaps the hotel could set you up with a private driver for that 4 hour period?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

In fact, after posting I started to look into La Paz and that looks the most interesting. On their site they advertise a package of $60 per adult and $50 per child which includes transportation from San Jose, guided tour of falls and a buffet lunch. It's quite pricey - do you think it is worth the price? InBio also looks interesting and I believe that is nearby.

I prefer not to book the tour until I arrive in case I have flight problems (main reason for flying in a day early) and we won't get into the hotel until 9 p.m. I will contact the Aurola to see if I can still book a tour on such short notice.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:51 PM

InBio would be a good choice as well, although I can't speak to it personally. $60 does seem pricey for La Paz, but remember you are paying for the convenience of having someone take you there as opposed to getting yourselves there. Entrance fee on a regular basis is $25 per person (or close to it). Lunch is probably $15 or so per person (we just visited for a couple of hours and didn't eat there). So you are paying a few $$ per person for the transfer. It's fair, I think. Very nice place to while away a few hours, enjoying the trails, the butterfly observatory, the hummingbirds, and the falls, of course.

Hopefully the tour desk at the hotel will have some suggestions for you as well that might appeal. We have stayed over at the Don Carlos (just 3-4 blocks away) and they have an excellent tour desk. You can walk right in and choose from any number of options. Juan Carlos will be very helpful should you wish to contact him---just in case the Aurola doesn't have that service (which they probably do). You can look at the Don Carlos website and check out their tours online. I think it is www.doncarloshotel.com. If that isn't correct, just google it.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:38 AM

I been to Iazu it's a very nice volcano, it's a nice volcano and i also enjoed a lot Lankester Botanical Gardens - it's beautiful
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM

id recommend Don Carlos as weel

http://costa-rica.typepad.com/san_jo...ose/index.html

DONT walk around at night, get taxis!