San Jose to Dominical - Driving Directions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to Costa Rica in about six weeks, landing in San Jose and driving to Dominical. There apparently are two driving choices: one is to drive down to San Isidro and then south to Dominical; the other would be to Jaco, through Quepos and then on to Dominical. Has anyone taken these drives and is there an obvious choice as to which way is better? For what it's worth, our drives to and from Dominical will both be on Saturday's.
Lastly, thanks to all the Fodorites on this forum and in the new book who have made planning our trip so much easier. It is greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Both are nice drives with different views. Both will take close to 4 hours. If you go through San Isidro (then west to Dominical), you'll need to navigate San Jose, which is not that tough as Avenida 2 takes you right through town from west to east. This road runs along the Continental Divide and is high, getting foggy midday. Get an early start.

If you choose the Orotina route (I'd stay off the Interamerican and drive through Atenas and Orotina), you'll have that notoriously slow and rough road for about 1.5 hour from Quepos to Dominical.

Could you go one way enroute and the other on the return?
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 04:32 PM

i agree with shillmac - we've done both routes as well. if you can do both routes - one on the way and one on return that would be great! we just did the drive from MA to dominical region last feb '08 and it's an interesting drive. the roads do deteriorate at times but you are in CR
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We arrive on a Friday night flight and are staying in Escazu at Out of Bounds B&B. We'll head out for Dominical the next morning (Saturday). The following Saturday we'll leave Dominical around sunrise as we have a rental car to return by the airport and then catch a 12:20 p.m. flight. I think you're right about taking both routes so we can see more of CR, especially since it is our first time visiting. Which route do you think is the most reliable time-wise for the trip back to San Jose and the airport? We would do the other route on the way to Dominical. Again, thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 03:30 AM

Great! You should go through San Isidro en route to Dom. as you are already in that direction at Escazu. Return through Manuel Antonio/Quespos.

Safe travels--have a great time!
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 05:12 AM

I agree - return thru MA/Quepos but watch out for the speed trap just north of Jaco!!! Someone else just posted they were pulled over as of a few weeks ago. They'll pull you over even if you aren't speeding - don't pay them!!
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM

. . .unless you are in a hurry!
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

shillmac and steph270:

I'll watch my speed and let you know what happens! Also fill you in on our trip - should be lots to tell you about!

Thanks for all your help.