Round trip San José to Manuel Antonio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, has anybody driven to MA from San José via San Isidro de El General and Dominical? Can anyone tell me how long it would take and what the roads are like? We would like to spend one night in MA and then continue back to SJ via Jaco not do it all in one day but are happy to spend 3-4 hours per day driving if it is scenic and interesting.
Thanks a lot for any info.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 08:36 AM

Hi! Yes, we just did that over the past 2 weeks. Check out my "LONG" trip report, and the photos. You are kind of going around your elbow....but you can get to M.A. that way. But, the road between M.A. and Dominical is HORRIBLE!! Don't go by car (take a truck-frame SUV for the bouncing), and don't do ANY of that driving at night or in the rain! You don't even want to be going through the mountains after about 3-4, because the fog can make it very hard to even see which way the next bend in the road will be, or if a truck is in your lane. Good luck, plan for a wreck or two to delay your travels, and enjoy the adventure! And, when I could take A SECOND to take my eyes off the road heading towards San Isidro, there were some very nice views of the valleys.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Hi,
From San Jose to San Isidro is about 3 1/2 hours.... high mountain, cool driving. Good roads with some areas of rock slides that could be bumpy but only tiny areas. From San Isidro through the next set of foothills over to Dominical is not bad road but winds a lot. 45 min? The road from Dominical to Quepos is indeed bad... bumpy and not fun but is only about 17 km. (guessing 45 minutes.) From Manuel Antonio to Jaco (1 hour +)very nice, few rough spots around bridges they are re-doing and some one lane, "Thank You God" bridges that they have not done yet. From there to Jaco, nice and back to San Jose nice driving. 2 1/2 hours.

Scenery is pretty in Dominical and through the mountains back from San Isidro. However, as the last post said, fog is heavy in the high mountains. So, I would say plan to go through there 11-4 and not early or late.

HOP

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - very useful info Hopabout and loved floydf 's photos , looks like you had a great trip. My son would die for a sailfish like that! We were in Cuba this year and it looks as if the roads are similar. I thought since we have 2 spare days (1 night) that this would be a good round trip. We like driving if there's things to see and going to MA and back the same way the next day seemed boring. Still it is a good 5-6 hours via San isidro from what you say and maybe that's a little too much. Any other suggestions for MA and back a different route eg. Quepos San Pablo - Asseri? Am looking at a not brilliant map here....By the way all this is planned for xmas so plenty of time!
Thanks again!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:38 PM

I didn't see the first person smiling on that stretch of road between Dominical and Quepos, except for the kids we stopped and gave candy to. It is bone jarring, and if it was raining you would not be able to see the BIGGEST of the potholes. And, although it seemed like many hours, I'm sure it took more than 45 minutes. If I remember correctly it was over 45-60 kilometers, and for the first portion of the trip I drove at 20kpm trying to avoid destroying the vehicle. After stopping at Bar Leche Agria, we sped up but it still took quite a while.

You mentioned not having a good map. One of the ones I liked I bought online from Toucan Guides. But, I'm sure the Bernstrom map that some Barnes & Noble Bookstores carry is probably good as well.

By the way, if you decide to help your son out with a GREAT Christmas present, I can find the card for the owner of the boat we had fun on in Quepos (Swordfish 1). The fishing in that area is one of the best in the world. Your son will thank you!!

You've got PLENTY of time to read LOTS of posts before you have to go. So, enjoy the reading and keeping up with current information, such as when a restaurant changes owners and goes from good to bad, or visa-versa. Save time for the wrecks on the long trips, try to stay relaxed, and you will have a good time. Good luck! Floyd