Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Safety, Car & Activities advice for Playa Grande/Tamarindo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I (in our 40's) and our 6 year old daughter will be in Costa Rica for a week in Feb. It's our first time in CR (well I went as a child with my parents, but that doesn't count) and we are taking a coworker's advice to fly from NYC to Liberia and staying at Hotel Bula Bula in Playa Grande.
- Any thoughts on that hotel?
- Do you think we should rent a car or use a shuttle? And if it's a car rental - which company?
- Thoughts on safety (regarding crime and wildlife)?
- Itinerary suggestion for activities? We are looking forward to doing a lot of relaxing by the pool and beach but would also love to explore and participate in some fun activities.

Many thanks!
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 11:44 AM

Playa Grande is slightly away from other things. I am not an expert on this area but what I remember is it looked older and a quick search of your hotel confirms that. I would check what web reviews say. If your renting a car most car rental places are okay however the scuttlebutt is to stay away from the really cheap rentals. I have used Alamo and Adobe as well as Service in the past. Alamo this year. I did hit a big pothole around Playa Grande 2 years ago and did $500 damage to my Adobe rental. It was a little car now I rent small suv's since they are a little higher off the ground. This year it seems most rental companies want proof of collision insurance if you are using your credit card companies insurance coverage so I have phoned and got a letter and downloaded the credit card agreement to avoid any issues. You will have to pay another $15 a day or so for liability insurance, there is no way around this that I know. Some companies include it in their price some don't. Crime is everywhere in the world so leave the crown jewels at home, my wife wears a Walmart ring and leaves her good jewelry in the safety deposit box. Don't flash your wealth. I have my good phone with my music on it, I leave the good camera at home since I hardly ever look at vacation photos so I don't take many anymore but memories with your daughter can be documented using a cheaper camera or cell phone. I feel that it is never a real good idea to let people know where you are staying and when you will arrive as it could always set you up for a scam. It could be my paranoid reasoning. Now that you know this you will be able to recognize me as I will be driving a rental car wearing a hat. It is never a good idea to leave stuff lying around on the beach for a long time as I have been told that Tico's feel that someone forgot it and they will pick it up so no one else can take it. To them it isn't stealing. All and all Costa Rica is a very safe country avoid driving at night as many people walk the roads with very little reflective gear and nothing good ever happens at night anyhow. You are in the heart of many good beaches to the north and south of you and Playa Grande is a beautiful beach.

Have fun don't worry
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 01:07 PM

I've heard to avoid rental cars as they can make you a target. I've always had good luck with taxis. Just make sure you negotiate the price up front. Then you don't have to worry about getting lost or anything like that. just relax and you'll get there the quickest way.