Notices

safes?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:17 PM
mary

safes?

what should we do if our hotel does not have in room safes? we certainly don't want to take all of our money with us to the beach and the pool. any ideas?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:21 PM
3 ideas

1) I don't know your particular destination, but don't carry so much cash on you? Take it from an ATM every couple days.

2) Use the safe normally available at the hotel front desk.

3) Lock it into your empty suitcase... obviously not foolproof but at least you will know immediately if it has been monkeyed with.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Debbie

If no in room safes, the resort/hotel would usually offer safety deposit boxes at the front desk. Use it, and if it's not all-inclusive and you have to carry money with you, then use those plastic watertight holders around your neck.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 11:07 AM
D

There is a device like a wire mesh net with a cable and lock which are about impossible to cut. They are made for just this purpose. You find something imobile and hidden in your room to attach it to and it is about as strong as a safe. Throuble is- I don't know what you call them. I have found them on the Lonley Planet site.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Kelly

D - I'd love to get more information on this! I looked all over Lonely Planet, and all I could find were guidebooks....

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Debbie

Try the catalogues from or websites at Magellans (www.magellans.com) or Mountain Equipment Co-op (the net thing was listed in their latest catalogue).
I wouldn't go so far as to say the mesh net and lock is the best substitute for a safe. Remember the mesh is big and you can still get a fish through the openings in the mesh. They are more intended to prevent theft of an entire backpack or bag.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:25 AM
D

I think it may be Travelsmith that has these devices. They have a website.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Debbie

Hi, it's called a Outpac Pacsafe Backpacker and Mountain Equipment Co-op carries them.