safe to drive outside Mexico city?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any reason we should NOT rent a car from the airport in Mexico City and drive to Cuernavaca and the area surrounding it? We are a couple, speak spanish and are well travelled in the Yucatan but it's our first time in the Mexico City area and all that I am reading about security/driving is a little scary. We'll drop the car back at the airport before we head into stay in Mexico City. I'd like NOT to have to take only major highways also. We leave sunday and have 3 days before we are due in Mex city. Any problems with exploring? Also, any ideas on a hotel near Cuernavaca with a good masssage and pool? thanks for the advice.
pamela

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Well, I personally would be daunted by the traffic and congestion, and would not be tempted to drive myself in the Mexico City area, especially when it is so much easier and more relaxing to hire a car and driver, and often cheaper, too. You could also easily take a bus.

Cuernavaca has a number of small, charming hotels with pool, gardens, etc. My favorite (by far) is Las Mananitas, but I've also enjoyed Hosteria Las Quintas and Posada Jacarandas. I think there's a Camino Real that gets good reviews too.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips. I'm not going to drive in mexico city, just from the airport, to cuernavaca and environs and back to the airport then take a bus into the city. las mananitas looks great but is over 300 a night and i was hoping for something under 140 or so. I'll ck the others you mentioned. thanks so much.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:12 PM

I can"t believe it wouldn't be cheaper or comparable in price to take a luxury bus or a car with driver to Cuernavaca, and the bus back, than it would be to rent a car for 3 days just to have it sit there at your destination.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:05 PM

The bus to Cuernavaca leaves directly from the airport. Cost about $15. The forty mile trip takes two hours--because of the traffic. I agree about taking the bus to Cuernavaca then hiring driver for day trips. They'll serve drinks/snacks and show a movie on the bus (we saw "Gigante"--"Big" in Spanish!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

i couldn't believe the price i got on the car rental---11 bucks a day. car rental in the yucatan has always been WAY more for me. so i'll drive which gives me more flexibility than a bus. any horror stories on driving? ive driven in yucatan lots but know this region is not quite as safe.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:56 AM

It seems like cost of car rental has dropped in the Yucatan as well. Talked to people in Puerto Morelos and they had rented a car in Cancun for a week and it was really inexpensive (like $12 / day). Not sure when that happened - it was always way more than that.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:41 AM

I really would take the direct bus from the airport to the La Selva bus terminal in Cuernavaca. Its qick, easy, and saves you the hassle of worrying about the security of your vehicle any time you leave it unattended. When you see the traffic in Mexico City you will be glad you did.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Why not take the bus (agree with previous post) and rent the car once you get to Cuernavaca?
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

ok how come everyone wants me to take the bus? I know the buses in mexico are excellent but i love having the opportunity to take some little road where I'll probably get whacked. I have a decent hotel and imagine the car will be safe there, will leave luggage at the hotel when i drive around so people won't break car windows and if it doesnt seem safe to leave it, i'll eat at those delicious taco stands instead of abandoning the car for a 4 hr lunch.
just tell me it's OK to drive during daylight in the cuernavaca/ puebla area...if you can. thanks
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM

What time do you arrive in MEX? How long will it take you to pick up the car? When will you "hit the road" from the airport? For me, a two hour drive to go forty miles on some windy roads with "manejeros locos" is enough of a reason to take the bus, and rent the car in Cuernavaca. 'nuf said.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Yes its o.k. to drive during daylight in the areas you suggest. I think the reason people are telling you the bus is a lot easier is because they have been there, seen the traffic, and understand the various security issues, mainly leaving a car that can be identified as a retal car unattended. That said, I have traveled by car in Mexico City, Cuernavaca, and Puebla as, literally, millions others do each day. For me, its too much hassle to drive in that part of Mexico. You can certainly succceed in doing it if you keep your wits about you. Buena suerte.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 09:21 AM

There is a trip report posted yesterday on tripadvisor by goldmanm titled "Trip Report-Puebla, Cholula, Acapulco-LONG". They rent a car in Mexico City and despite having driven in Mexico and DF previously end up spending 3 hours lost in Mexico City trying to find the highway to Puebla. Then they proceed to end up getting lost in Puebla and going to Cuernavaca.

I think experiences like this are exactly why everyone is suggesting the bus as a better option.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM

I have done it and so can you. Get a Guia Roji, a map, a Mexico City and plot out your course. If you can get on Insurgentes Sur it is a straight shot to Cuernavaca. Be warned that exit signs come upon you fast and without warning. As long as you can stay on marjor roads and express ways you will be fine. Side streets are scary.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM

That's a very good rate on a rental car.
Being able to explore on your own where and when you want to has great advantages. There isn't much between Mexico City and Cuernavaca. Topozlan set in a deep valley is more impressive.
My favourite towns are Tlalpujahua and El Oro on the Michoacan/Estado de Mexico line. Valle del Bravo is also a peaceful place in the countryside to explore. It's an Alpine-like resort town nestled around a beautiful lake. They have wonderful foods because of European influences including delicious local fresh and smoked trout and Morel and Chanterelle mushrooms from the forests at 5 pesos a bag!
Enjoy your adventure. Mucho ojo.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:45 AM

I would NEVER, EVER drive in Mexico City or Cuernavaca (even if just from the MEX airport to Cuernavaca). The traffic in both cities is HORRIBLE.

The bus from MEX to Cuern. is cheap and easy to use. Cabs in Cuernavaca are easy to hail and also cheap ($3-$4 anywhere you want to go in the city).

In Cuernavaca I highly recommend the boutique hotel Villa Blanca. It's lovely and at a nice price.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:52 AM

I am Mexican and I NEVER drive in Mexico City. I have taken the bus from the airport to Cuernavaca. Is safe and convenient. One of my employees (Mexican) was robbed after he picked up his rental car at the airport when going to Toluca.
There is some construction going on at the airport, if you still plan to use a rental car , be careful of knowing exactly were you going .

Maybe the reason why is so cheap is because is going to be a manual transmission vehicle.

Isela
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Last year we drove from Puebla to Acapulco. We had detailed driving instructions and had no problems at all. We also drove from Puebla into Mexico City to see a soccer match at Azteca. Once again we had detailed instructions and had no problems at all.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:54 AM

We always take the bus to MEX or Mexico City, but otherwise drive all over the country.
M
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:04 PM

to go from the airport to Cuernavaca you MUST cross Mexico City. Take the bus ! (rent a car in Cuernavaca if you must for sightseeing)