Search

Ruby's Hotel

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ruby's Hotel

Hello.
We are going to Belize this July and I was wondering if anyone has stayed at Ruby's either beachside or lagoonside. We are on a very tight budget. If anyone has stayed, what did you think? How was the beach?
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Oh and if anyone can recommend other budget stays I would really appreciate it!
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:24 AM

The original Ruby's is probably the most popular budget place in San Pedro. It has both older, non-A/C units, around US$30, and some newer (maybe 2 years old) units facing the sea with A/C -- these are more expensive, around US$50.

The original Ruby's is at the south edge of town. It is on the water, and you can swim there, but it's an area that's busy with boats and people walking by. It is close to Ramon's, which has a nicer beach (all beach areas in Belize are public). There is a good little restaurant on the first floor for a cheap breakfast or snacks.

Some people like it, others find it a little noisy, esp. the older rooms on the street side.

The new Ruby's Lagoonside is a little south of town. I have seen it from the outside but haven't been in. Prices are about the same.

I personally would MUCH rather be on the Caribbean side.

Other budget places on the island: Sanpedrano, Lili's (some rooms), Martha's (not on the water), Hideaway (also not on the water but it has a pool).

Offseason you can find a pretty good selection of rooms in the US$75 to under $100 range (e.g. Corona del Mar, The Tides, Paradise Resort, Banana Beach (interior rooms and suites) and others, and these are a HUGE step up from most of the budget places.

If you are on a really tight budget, I'd suggest you look at Caye Caulker, where the majority of hotels are budget level.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Old May 30th, 2003, 07:21 AM

We stayed there a few years ago. I think we probably had the nicest room - it overlooked the water and we had windows on 2 walls, which gave us the possibility of some cross breeze. It was very very hot when we were there!

Personally I thought it was ok. I wasn't that crazy about Caye Caulker - I preferred Ambergris. But that was a few years ago, maybe it's different now.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:29 AM
ltt

stayed there a couple of years ago. as above, had an ocean view room with a window facing the beach. we were on the top floor and it had a sitting bench right outide the room on the walkway which was nice for relaxing and enjoying the view. good location. i imagine that the rooms facing the street may be noisy. we were happy there.