Search

Roatan Airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roatan Airport

How far in advance to my flight departure time do I need to arrive at Roatan airport?

We are going from Roatan to Atlanta and the puddle jumper we are thinking of taking from Utila to Roatan will only get us there 1 hour in advance of flight from Roatan to Atlanta.

This seems like enough time for a very small airport but just double checking since it's an international flight.

Thanks!
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM

For an international flight to the U.S., you must be checked by the one-hour mark. That's a TSA requirement. That doesn't mean walking into the terminal at one hour. It doesn't mean standing in line at one hour. It means having completed check in one hour before scheduled departure. 59 minutes or less won't be good enough. I wouldn't chance this.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM

I should add, if you don't make the one-hour cutoff, you'll be a no-show. Delta (I assume it's Delta if you're flying to Atlanta) could make you buy new tickets for the next day or the next day when there are seats. With the price of a last-minute, one-way fare, that could be pretty expensive.

Is there an earlier flight from Utila?
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Jeff, thanks! I'm checking - they might be able to get us on a flight from Utila 30 mins earlier. Otherwise, doesn't sound like it's a good idea to risk it. Thanks!
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Last time we flew Utila to SAP our flight was nearly an hour late, then we waited in line for more than an hour while they inspected luggage and went through everyone's passports. If we'd had anything less than 3 hours scheduled between landing and our flight we would have been out of luck. In fact every time we've flown from Guanaja, Roatán, or Utila to San Pedro Sula we've had delays or unscheduled stops. I would never schedule less than 3 hours between scheduled landing and the take off time for an international flight. Just my 2 lempiras' worth...
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM

How much does it cut into your time to fly back to Roatan a day earlier? As hopefulist says, these inter-island or inter-Honduras flights are not known for their timeliness. I'd be concerned even about a scheduled 30 minutes before your flight to Atlanta.

Once the one-hour mark hits, that's it, and you don't board the plane if you're not fully checked in.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 07:29 AM

I didn't even know there were flights between Utila and Roatan. When I checked the website (there obviously is) these flights are specifically to connect with Delta to Atlanta. That said, weather conditions, passenger loads (they may fly to SPS first) etc. could mess up your plans. I'd get to Roatan on an earlier flight or even the day before if possible.