Recent SJO airport transit times...

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent SJO airport transit times...

Delta just changed our departure flight for our trip home from CR- an hour earlier, boo! Now we fly from Osa to Pavos arriving 10:20am, depart SJO to Atlanta 1pm. Thoughts? We will have already done the departure tax thing.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:24 AM

As long as your nature Air flight lands on time and there is no hassle getting to SJO from Pavas you should be fine. The check in and security lines at SJO move fairly quickly. I've always gotten to the airport 1.5 hours before departure and have had plenty of time to spare once in the terminal
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:46 AM

There is never any way to tell how long it will take to check in at SJO. In years of flying in and out of that airport, I've breezed right through the whole process in 15 minutes, or I've had it take a lot longer. Check-in and security do not always go quickly there.

The big question is: What would Delta do if your incoming flight is delayed and you don't make it in time for their flight? You'd end up paying a change fee, plus any difference between the fare you paid and a last-minute one way fare home.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:04 AM

Does Delta have a later flight that would be better for you? This is the kind of change that should allow you to request the different flight with out penalty.

Keith
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM

I had a similar problem in July, but BOTH airlines moved their times. My Continental flight moved up an hour, and my early flight out of Puerto Jimenez canceled. It left me even less time than you had. Nature Air offered to help out by having someone waiting to whisk me to the airport--and they did, free of charge. It all worked out fine--and will for you also, more than likely. Even if your flight gets into Pavas a little late, say 10:45, you should still be okay. Having purchased your tax ahead of time will certainly help. It helps somewhat if the flight is not on a weekend.

Jeff has a good point. Since Delta made the change, they should be willing to waive a change fee should you not make the flight.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM

It took me about 30 minutes yesterday to pay departure tax (second in line), check-in my luggage to my Taca flight (helped that I had done on-line check-in the previous night), and get through security (they have a special line for families, and there were about 8-10 families ahead of mine in security).

At my hotel (Orquedias Inn), they told me I should leave at 12 for my 2pm flight (the hotel is just 10-15 minutes from the airport, so about the same distance as from Pavos to SJO). That should give you a local person's reference - if you leave Pavos by 10.50 or 11, you should be okay....

Sunil